New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pedersen Device
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there blueprints available anywhere on the internet or otherwise for the production of the Pedersen Device?

I am thinking about, if it is feasible, to make one.

Seems to me that since it is old technology, technical information should be available for it.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
You'd have to make a bolt and magazine too.The magazine might be more difficult. And what would you do for the ammo ?Unless you could get a 30 carbine to work. Someboy out there must have one for sale.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the NRA calander for 2003 (?) or 2004 has a fantastic picture of one.

it would have to be semi, of course.

I have heard that while the bolt/device are mostly destroyed, you can ocassionally find mags, with burn marks, around.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
You'd have to make a bolt and magazine too.The magazine might be more difficult. And what would you do for the ammo ?Unless you could get a 30 carbine to work. Someboy out there must have one for sale.

Can you say, 32ACP, as the Pedersen round was almost a duplicate.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brophy’s book on the 1903 Springfields has some blue-prints and a whole chapter devoted to Mark 1 modifications...and Sarco has a few of the Mark 1 receivers available. You might also try the US Patent office.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a spare Springfield bolt body around, and a very nice Mark I.

I figure I can make my own magazine, not too hard just pound a piece of sheet metal around a mandrel and weld the seam up.

I believe the cartridge was just a tad longer than the regular 32 ACP.

Perhaps 30 Carbine could be made to work also.

If somebody has a copy of said blueprints, such as from the book Rick mentions, I would happy to send some money for the info.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me an address and I will photo copy the chapter and the prints and send them to you.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
You may cut down 30 Carb. to a wildcat, but the window needed for it as is would be too big. Not to mention tring to control/lock-up the round with the Pedersen/bolt assembly.

30 Mauser, 7.62x25, 30 Luger would be better choices. JMHO

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the NRA calander for 2003 (?) or 2004 has a fantastic picture of one.

it would have to be semi, of course.

I have heard that while the bolt/device are mostly destroyed, you can ocassionally find mags, with burn marks, around.

jeffe

The Mark 1 devices (Pederson) were semi-auto, not full auto. The device is quite literally nothing more than a blow-back semi-auto pistol...sans a grip and a trigger. The forward portion of the device (what would be the barrel of the pistol) is shaped exactly like a .30-06 case so it fits in the chamber of the 1903 rifle.

Last one I saw for sale was priced at around $4,500.00.

It is also wise to consider that these rifles with the device installed had trigger pulls between 15 and 20 pounds! The armories were looking into lightening the trigger pull about the time they decided to drop the whole thing as being impractical on the battlefield.

They also made the same device (called the Mark 2) to fit the 1917 Enfields.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask your questions on the 1903/1903A3 collector forum at http://www.jouster.com

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
drop the whole thing as being impractical on the battlefield.

IIRC, they were abandoned because the war ended. Originally they were to be put into service for the Spring 1919 Offensive.

As far as ones for other rifles, yes they were almost tooled up for a 1917 version, and somewhere in a museum or maybe just blueprints, they were to make one for the Mosin Nagant.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I reccomend contacting the US Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD. The curator is a super guy and was always very willing to answer all my questions when I was ther back in the early 90's for a school. The same guy is still curator today. They have a lot of items there that are one of a kind and prototypes that you have never even heard of. They also have an incredible reference library. If anyone can help you, they can.

http://www.ordmusfound.org/

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cartridge was the same as the French 32 service auto. They adopted it after WW1. The 30 carbine is pretty intense for a blow back action.
It would be conceptually simple to do a blow back 32 auto.
Take care!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 30 Mauser or 30 Luger reamer around, so that might be the most logical choice.

If anything, I could always clean up the 'chamber' later with something else like the Pedersen cartridge.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
quote:
drop the whole thing as being impractical on the battlefield.

IIRC, they were abandoned because the war ended. Originally they were to be put into service for the Spring 1919 Offensive.

-Spencer

When you get the copies I am sending you from Brophy’s book you may change your views on this.

The Infantry Board of the US Army tested the device and did not like it for practical reasons...not the least of those being the added 14 pounds of weight that grunts would have to carry to use the device. They also disliked the “rainbow†trajectory and less than lethal performance of the small cartridge, and the fact that with a magazine attached the rifle became almost useless for bayonet fighting.

Their closing statement was: “The board thinks the device has no valuable qualities for stabilized defensive warefare.â€