New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine capacity 1903 in 308 Norma
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 308 Norma on a 1903 springfield (doulbe heat treat Smiler ). Mag capacity is 3, is that typical for that conversion and what is the solution to that? (not that I really need a lot of rounds in there, just curious).

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure on the 1903. In the case of a normal 98 that will hold 5 06 style cases down they will only hold 3mag cases. Without some type of drop box or at least a different floor plate I bet you will only get 3 down.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Red,

You know I'm a Mauser mechanic not Springfield but the Mauser box, unaltered will hold three magnum cases, but aproperly dimensioned Mauser mag will hold 4. I would imagine the same holds true for the Speingfield.

The proper box is wider not necessarily deeper.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One in chamber plus three in box should be enough for anything you want to hunt. JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
but aproperly dimensioned Mauser mag will hold 4

z1r what do I need to do to a 98 mag to get it to fit 4? I can't lower the floorplate

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,

A true magnum box would be wider by about .110" at the rear. I can't calc front dimensions offhand because I can't remember what the shoulder dimensions are.

Aftermarket boxes like the Blackburn are wider but factory boxes like in the Interarms are exactly the same as on their standard calibers. That's why Blackburn's will hold four vs. the Interarms, etc., which hold three. Both have a standard depth box, but one is wider.

Be forewarned though that if you add a wider box to an action that already feeds ok, you may need to rework the feedrails.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
z1r. Thanks. I thought maybe I could do it without rail work. It feeds like a dream as it is so it will stay 3 down. Are the correct deminsions just ratioed up for the increased stack width?

My wildcats are basically a 280 rem case in a Gibbs shape with the shoulder moved forward and.458". In a Mkx I get 4.75 down. I've always wondered if I took a file to the shoulder area of the mag box if I could easily get 5 down. My shoulder hit forward of the little ridge in the side. I'm probably forcing rail work if I do that. So probably best to leave them alone

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was just curious like I said. If I were doing it up from scratch or something I might consider a custom box. I am excited about shooting it this weekend, in the 7 or so years I have owned it I have only fired 5 rounds through it!!!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Red

My 338 Win Mag on a DHT 1903 also holds three down and one in the pipe with the original magazine. It also feeds like butter and I have never yet had the time when four shots wasn't enough.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my 300 win 1903 holds 3 down, 1 up (in a pinch)...

never had to fire it more than twice at game...

the ONLY time I fired it twice on game was with 180gr BTs and a big hog..

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
never had to fire it more than twice at game...

the ONLY time I fired it twice on game was with 180gr BTs and a big hog..

jeffe

Was that hog on a "spit" and twirlin' over an open flame at the time. Big Grin I've heard stories of your hunts...

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
LOL,
nah, malm... not THIS time

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote