New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light/durable B.U. sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm taking delivery on my Bansner's Hi-tech stock this week. It will go on a very trim (#1 con) FN 300 WM that I'm building as my backpacking rifle. Should come in at 6.75# all up.

Question is, this has a slick barrel now and I want simple backup sights. I'm using weaver mounts now so the removable rear sight is an option but they're steel and presumably heavy and I don't like the idea of another part to lose/forget. Can folks recommend a light, simple, and durable set of sights for sich a gun--preferably one not requiring extensive tapping of such a light barrel?

Thanks a million.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I saw someone on this site posting a pic recently that had a rear peep that stayed mounted on the rear weavers style base.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Did you ever consider holographic sites?

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that 6.75 lbs. with scope? Did you keep the floorplate? I'd love to see some pics if you have any. What'd you use for a safety? I just put together a Zastava M98 in a Brown stock with the factory barrel, which is close to a #1 contour, Timney trigger and Gentry safety, with a Leupold 4x in Weaver bases and rings it goes a touch under 7.5 lbs.

Posts: 40 | Location: northern NY | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the Bansner stock with blind bottom--ditched the original floorplate and trigger guard all together. I used an aluminum trigger guard bow and a light aluminum mag box. I had Dennis Olson convert the original shroud to a 2 position PME side swing (nice). Plan to mount a Leupold 2x7 in Burris super low zee's. I'm getting my weight by adding all components seperately as I havn't put her together yet but I think I'm close--standard mil bottom metal can go 10-12 oz alone. How about a pic of yours? Caliber?

Ramrod, I saw that post too--they don't make one for the FN, however. I'm thinking a guy could d&t a steel grand slam or Warne rear base and fab a ghost ring to screw in to it pretty easily. I may go that route and just solder on a standard front ramp.

Those holo sights would be too big for a back up and I prefer optics for primary.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I built my wife a 7x57 using the a Hi-tec and Daly barrel and action. Here is a link to it.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../505107213#505107213
It weighs 7#2oz loaded. I'm impressed if you can get to 6.75#.

Could give me a link to the post on the site or the manufacturer. You might try the Talley pop-up rear peep.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod-
Nice looking rig, that's what I'm looking for. Weighed things again tonight--all metal (including rings and bases) comes in at 4.8#, stock is 20 oz. scope is 10 oz. This is 6.7#. Loaded with sling should still come under 7 and it's a Mauser! It's a 300 Win...it'll get carried (and hunted) more than shot I think.

I don't have the link to the thread but here's the sight I was thinking of:
XS Sight--backup peep

Jay Kolbe

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks the one shown for a rem is the one I remembered. When you add things up don't forget the pad if you are using one. Surprised me how much they added.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

posted Hide Post
If it were mine and I was trying to save as much weight as absolutely possible then I would purchase a Williams replacement blade for the #20 universal rear sight with the aperture size of your choice (.085" or .150") and have your gunsmith mill the apropriate size dovetail in the back of your rear base.

I don't know your barrel measurements but for a front sight I would look at getting a ramp of your choice but with flat blade so that you can file it down to sight it in as the rear peep would not be adjustable for elevation.

Or you could have him mill a dovetail in the rear base for a Marble rear folding leaf sight that is adjustable for elevation and simply get the correct height front sight of your choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
snowcat, if you go with Talley's they have a very nice rear peep that fits on the rear base.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, after having a scope fail on a slick barreled rifle while hunting bear, I decided that my hunting rifles would have backup sights.
On my model 700 remington, Brown Presision stock, 30/06, 20 inch barrel which measures .510 at the muzzle: milled a flat on the rear part of the weaver base and mounted the peep from an old Redding shotgun sight I got through Numrich. It provides windage adjustment. On the front, particularly because of the thin barrel, I installed some type of Mauser band with one of the high blades that you get to lower the point of impact. Had to make a sleeve because the diameter of the band was larger than the barrel. The only drilling on the front was a dimple for the set screw that sits under the blade. It was also set in place with JB Weld.
It's been on for over 25 years. Yes, my friends think it looks less than wonderful but it works. This rifle continually ends up being my go-to piece.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat, I just painted the stock this morning, I'll have pics soon enough though. Mine's a 30-06 and I kept the Daly bottom metal with the side button. I bought a different floorplate/triggerguard through Numrich with the floorplate release inside the guard, but the magazine box was almost .2" shorter, which left an uncomfortable gap between the box and receiver, so I returned it. I'm contemplating some way to modify the Weaver base for a peep as well, similar to the XS, but don't have it down yet, as I'd still like to be able to use low-medium rings. With the XS setup for the Remington, you apparently need to use high rings.
Jon

Posts: 40 | Location: northern NY | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the folding peep from an old Redfield scope base on a Weaver base on my favorite 30-06. It works, but I prefer that my sights not fold. This thread Leg Injury explains why. And no, that's not my leg.

Later, I tried the XS sight/mount for a M-700 on a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. I used medium Weaver rings. The sight does not fold and it all worked well enough, but I like low-mounted scopes, so it was not my favorite. If you use a variable with a big bell, it might do.

The problems presented by multiple sight systems are not just mechanical. The difference in a scope's line of sight and that of iron sights seems small but it can have a huge effect in the field. Training with firearms builds muscle memory that lets us raise the gun to almost exactly same place each time. That's why a guy who uses the same gun every year is usually good: he doesn't have to think about it. If you change sight systems after you build that muscle memory, either the gun or your eye is in the wrong place. I speak from bitter experience. A few years ago, I pulled my scope and flipped up the peep on that 30-06, then missed the biggest blacktail buck I've ever seen an hour later - in front of a witness.

We have backup sights for the same reason we have primary sights: to hit things. If you use a scope, the best backup is another scope. My rifles have iron sights because I love the way they look, and because with my luck I'll destroy both scopes. If/when I do, I'll try to avoid making fast shots with the irons.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard