Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhineland Arms Mauser .45 ACP Kit
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody here got one of those? After reading the article on them in Shotgun News I ordered one of them to fit on a pitted 98 receiver that was gathering dust. Nearly a year later I got the kit, but it was missing the ejector and some pins. The missing parts were supposed to be mailed, but 7 months later they'tre still no-shows, Rhineland won't answer my calls or e-mails, and their website says they're out of the retail business.

The missing pins are standard hardware but the ejector is a specialty item. If anyone has one, I would appreciate it if you could send me a tracing of its outline on paper so I could fabricate one. It's pretty obvious that I'm getting nowhere with Rhineland.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 23 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a 45acp Mauser in 2000.
I threaded and chambered a Shilen .452 blank and channeled out the stock for the fat barrel.
I shoot it single shot.

You have enough parts to start doing that.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bob,
i have built several using the kit. the special ejector isn't worth a shit. it is easier to use the standard mauser ejector and alter the magazine block slightly.
max

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
athanks, I'll go with the standard ejector and modify as necessary.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
bob I cut the ejector block and bolt stop off mine and moved it foreward to shorten bolt throw and use the standard ejector let me look and see if I can find the other one.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has been a interesting post.

I was going to order a conversion 45 barrel about the time they changed the website. I could not get a response to a email regarding shapes and cost for the barrels so put the project on hold.

But now I am working on getting the pieces together and will be making my own carbines up on Mausers.

A 30 carbine, using the M1 carbine magazine. This will be the first one as I already have a barrel blank, reamer and gauges.
A 9mm Luger using the Marlin /Smith 59 magazines.
A 45 ACP using the Colt 1911 magazines.

These should be fun guns.

Will be using the military bolt stops and ejectors on all three calibers. I have made new extractors and will be remachining the bolt faces on the 30 carbine and 9mm. The fun part will be opening the magazine guard up to make the 9mm magazine fit into it. Other wise not bad conversions you just have to really think them out first.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Jim,

If you're going to make a quality magazine adapter for M1 carbine and 1911 magazines, please consider making at least one other - I'm ready to buy NOW.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:

But now I am working on getting the pieces together and will be making my own carbines up on Mausers.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Jim,
The Mauser can take more pressure than the case and recover nicely from a failed case, so I can use 460 Rowland load data.
Any 45acp brand of brass is just as good at the 460 brass.

My rifle weighs 17 pounds, and seems to get the best groups with 230 gr FMJ.

45acp Carbide sizer dies are .467".
The brass springs back to .469" when it comes out of the die.
Instead of paying for a 45acp reamer, I used a .469" straight fluted reamer and a 45acp throater. I reamed until the bolt just closed on a case. I throated until the bolt just closed on a dummy round.

The loaded ammo will not fit, but I resize the loaded ammo.
Montana Gold 230 gr FMJ has a brass like jacket. These bullets seem to be able to take being resized in the case and not fall out.

This produces a very concentric round that fits very tight in the chamber.

As a result I get a 4" 20 shot group at 100m rapid fire, with no recoil, and an impact on the target I can hear with hearing protectors on, and plywood blasting out of the back of the target I can see with a 4X scope.

This gun has no practical use, but everyone at the range loves to shoot it.

14 gr AA#5, 230 gr FMJ, 45acp mixed brass, CCI200 Larger Rifle primer, 1.275" OAL, loaded ammo resized in Lee carbide die with decapping stem removed. Some brass must be initially sized without a shell holder [and pounded back out] to get the web diameter small enough.

What does it all mean?
Of all my silly experimental gun projects, the 45acp Mauser is one of the few that turned out.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
no dice on origin al rhineland ejector cant find it sorry.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No problem, thanks for checking, and to the other posters, thanks for the input.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Welcome to Rhineland Arms, we are no longer manufacturing or selling any products. Our primary business is now R&D.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does it all mean?
Of all my silly experimental gun projects, the 45acp Mauser is one of the few that turned out.

get yourself a Destroyer Carbine, rebarrel to .30 Mauser...

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:
What does it all mean?

get yourself a Destroyer Carbine, rebarrel to .30 Mauser...

funny enough, i search gunbroker EVERYDAY for one to do exactly this with.

7.62x25, but the same round.

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
7.62x25, but the same round.

I was told not to use the russian/chinese version in my Mauser pistol due to subtle differences in case size, etc.

My pistol was assembled from two Mausers that were imported fron China some years ago, it has a Bolo top on a standard frame. The guns were made in Germany, and used in China, so I suppose the Chinese ammo must have been used in it.

I've only used Mauser ammo, expensive, made by Fiocchi.

I have two stripped Destroyers, kinda rough, 9mm Largo.

Funny, you couldn't go to a gunshow some years back without tripping over the things, now they rarely show up anywhere.

The receiver, barrel dimensions, etc, are noted in the back of Frank de Haas' Bolt Action Rifles book.

What would a .30 Mauser necked to .22 (or .20 or .17) yield as far as pressure, etc, to be used in a Destroyer, I wonder?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
TC,
the 7.62x25 is loaded to higher pressure, dimensionally they are the same round.

yeah, about 6 years ago, tehre was 10 of them on every table for 50 bucks each..

i wanted to make a "mini express rifle" on one, actually, the style would be the german "park gun" rather than the "rook rifle"...

thought a tiny, delicate, looks like a mini-375 HH as made by rigby would be a neat neat neat park gun

necked to 22? about a 22 hornet
jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also converted a 1903 Turkish Mauser to 7.62x25mm, scoped it, sporterized it, etc.
[and those reamers ain't cheap.]

It is some curiosity at the range, but no one falls in love with shooting it, like the 45acp.

The 7.62x25mm Tokarev case head as built by Starline can take ~ 60,000 psi.

The 7.62x25mm case head as built by S&B loaded ammo can take ~ 70,000 psi as a reload or as a pull.

The 45acp, 45 Super, and 460 Rowland brass can take ~50,000 psi.

45acp +P brass as made by Starline can take ~55.000 psi.

What does it all mean?
1) Pressure is not a driver here.
2) The 7.62x25mm case head is a bitch in a Mauser.
3) The 45acp case head in a Mauser is a piece of cake.
4) The 45acp carbine is more fun to shoot than the Tokarev cartridge.
5) If you want the horrible work of converting to the Tokarev case head, convert to .223 instead, it is a far superior cartridge.