Notify
Tools

Perfect mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
In my mind if a bog standard 1909 Argentine is and was good enough for Holland's and Purdey it'll do for me!

But if I wanted "Magnum"? I'd get probably the finest mass produced Mauser "type" action for its price. BRNO's ZKK 602 or CZ's 550.

Why pay more on what's there and CHEAP? BRNO were doing integral 'scope rails on all their ZKK series thirty years ago!

Purdey and H&H make fabulous shotguns, but, having shot a number of British bolt rifles and owned one, by Geo. Gibbs, I am not very impressed. British bolt rifles COST a LOT and many continental and American custom rifles are superior, sorry, but, this is a fact.

The 602 is a clunky action and, yes, I have owned and used one here in B.C.,that takes major gunsmithing to make into a decent action and the CZ-550, while better, still often requires serious feeding and polishing work. They do not begin to compare with the 21 and 47 Brnos and certainly not with a Dakota or custom Mauser, again, from owning and using these.

Scope rails are fine, until you want to use a short tubed scope without bulky extension rings; I would always choose a GOOD "claw" mount or an American custom mount over these and also find EAWs very good, but, prone to rust and rather costly.

I sure have no issues with Brits or their guns as I am a rock solid pro-Brit. Canuck of the old type, but, I do think that some Brit. guns are too "dear" for what you get...and THEN, there is "single malt"......... Smiler

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enfield, comparing one of the P&V, Wiebe, Satterlee, GMA, Heym, Hambrusch, etc bolt guns to a mass produced, plainly stocked factory rifle is kinda silly. Obviously both will shoot bullets and kill game, but the cool custom retains excellent value, artistic and individual pride of ownership that is hard to come by in just another factory rifle.

The answer to your question "why buy a high end custom as opposed to cheap and adequate," the feel of hunting with a true representation of the master riflesmith's art. Appreciation of beauty and quality.

I like type "B" mausers, nice single shots, double rifles, side by side shotguns and now I want a beautiful, artistic magnum mauser in a classic caliber.

Its OK, either way, relax.

I dunno.

josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote