New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel bedding help needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to bed a Remington barreled action into a used Brown Precision stock. Freebie for a relative.

This is a straightforward job on the action.

The barrel channel is slightly off center and larger than the factory barrel that is on the action. I am going to clean that up.

My question is this, Rather than bed the barrel channel with Acra Glas, can I use the bondo that I am using on the stock to bed the barrel?

I would think the bondo is lighter than the AcraGlas but will it hold up?

Since I only want to do this one time, I would appreciate your comments

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
use acraGEL not glas
don't use bondo . it will chip
i do suggest using marinetex grey over all others

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
What jeff said
Bondo is auto body filler and is best when used 1/8" thick or less. It's very brittle and has near zero structural strength.

Acragel on the other hand is just about the end all be all of structural reinforced resins. It's strong has great adhesion strength and is not very brittle at all even though it's harder then a whores heart. and it's nearly as thick and won't run all over the place. All my bedding jobs are done with acragel not glass

The other thing is WHY are you using bondo on the stock in the first place??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

The other thing is WHY are you using bondo on the stock in the first place??

My guess is that he is using Bondo to fill imperfections in the stock. I find that most fiberglass stocks have a few small voids.

A great reason to NOT use bondo is the fact that, being polyester based, it tends to shrink. Because it shrinks there is a built in stress in the bond between the bondo and the part being repaired.

Another great reason not to use bondo in the barrel channel is the fact that it is porous and holds water. If not sealed it will cause rust.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Bondo works great for "filling in" a barrel channel on composite stocks. The application of a good paint product will seal it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
The best bedding compound, by far, is Devcon 10110. I used Acragel until I found the Devcon. It's a little more expensive, but stronger and easier to work with. It is also good for changing or repairing synthetic stocks. A $27, one pound can will do 5 or 6 bedding jobs......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what are the diffrences between acra glass and acra gel?? I have used acra glass in the passed

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
glass -- hot syrup, running over hot pancakes
gel - thick white gravy/warm butter, not melted

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Jeff I hope you have a fast metabolism.
Hot syrup, Pancakes, warm butter, thick white gravy. Sounds like the menu down at the local breakfast shop.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for micro -ballons .
Check the hobby shops wich are using this on flying model aircraft.

Mask off barrel and mix micro-ballons with accra glass to form a paste.

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so now I'm confused and hungry rotflmo rotflmo thanks I got it Wink

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote