New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby action question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since my search for a 378 Weatherby isn't going very well,I am considering rebarreling another Weatherby.

My question is-is the Mark V action for the 257,7mm,300,ect.,the same as the one for the 30x378,378,460?

I seem to remember reading that exsept for the Varmintmaster (this was before Ed's "30-06 action"),all Weatherbys from 240 to 460 were made on the same action.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

The slot or groove that runs along the bolt for the bolt stop is not as long in the 257 or 270. Thus the bolt does not come back as far.

Get that lengthened and buy the magazine box and follower for the 460 etc. and you will be over the line.

One other thing that I can't remember is that the 460s have a small notch cut in the right hand side of the front receiver ring to allow loaded round to clear. Not sure if that is there for the 257 and 270s.

But the rest of the actions are the same.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll also have to open up the boltface,and change the extractor I assume.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike375,
Having a dispute with my father about this-want to clear it up for me?

According to him,the bolt on his 460 he had (made in the early to mid 70s)was considerably larger in diameter than those on the 300s,7mms,ect.

Is he right or is he wrong?

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done this conversion several times. Mark V bolts are the same diameter. In addition to milling the bolt stop groove, the magazine well opening needs to be machined to fit the larger 378/416/460 box. For those that have not had the experience of milling the bolt stop groove, it takes a carbide end mill and good coolant flow.

You may purchase the box and follower and follower spring from Weatherby. You also need the 378/416/460 extractor, it is different from the one on the 300 and similar cartridges.

I have a new take off 416 Mark V barrel with factory brake and factory recoil lug. Anyone interested?

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

Email Address is rifles@earthlink.net

Web site http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 05-03-2002).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Ricks,

Thanks for the info bud.Dad will still say you're wrong though.

Sounds like too much work to make one into a 378.Oh well.I guess the search continues.

Run that 416 barrel on the classified form and I bet it would sell in a New York minute.Hell,just the muzzel brake is worth $150.

------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

They are the same bolt.

I differ with John Ricks, I was sure that a 460 box would go straight into a 300 Mk V.

I know for a fact it did on a Japanese 270 that was changed to 338/378.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote