THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What is the best DIY coating for an aluminum floor plate?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best DIY coating for an aluminum floor plate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I have a Remington aluminum floor plate and want to make it a true matt black and do it myself.

Is there a coating out there that really is scratch resistant that I can do at home?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep..
muffler paint .. "high temp" but not the 1200+ deg stuff ... the 600deg stuff ..

strip it
warm it p, hang from a wire.. paint.. let cool, wipe off extra

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Never thought of that.....will it scratch?

Wipe off extra? That I don't understand.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Backing lacquer from brownells. Or a powder coat kit from Harbor freight. The powder coat may not come out flat though.

You could Anodize it at home Big Grin With a lot of time and material investment.

I use to re anodize (Type II) fishing reels in my garage. It's not a hard anodize (Type III) but it did the job just fine for cosmetic work.

But seriously Epoxy paint, Backing lacquer. Hobby shops have this stuff too or Automotive paint shops. You being out in the midwest should be able to get the good stuff with all the nasty chemical that california won't let use have.

Other place to look is Lowe's or Home depot They have out door furniture paint in that hammer tone finish and I'm sure they have it in flat black.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it comes out hard, as it bakes when you warm it, either sun or heat gun.

it will scratch, like most paints, but pretty hard

it will have a residue, likely,, wipe it off and it will be fine ... \

8 bucks? how wrong can it be?

do NOT use "bbq paint" .. billy gets good results, not me so much

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted

Header paint, the bake on kind at your automotive store is very durable, scratch and wear resistant. Providing you prep the metal by sand blasting with sand or aluminum oxide. If you use glass beads it will not adhere near as well and chip.

Bake it on per directions and it will look good. A pleasing soft matte. It sprays on very well, much better than the Brownells stuff.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a shop that paints military hardware.
What you want is paint color 37038 lusterless black. The paint you want is epoxy polyamide - MIL-24441. You might wait until you have several items you want painted and have it all painted at the same time.
It is not cheap but it is pretty chemical and scratch resistant.

USAF colors

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
That isn't DIY....

If I was going to pay to get a coating it would be bearcoat or diamondcoat.

Looking for DIY

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
That isn't DIY....

If I was going to pay to get a coating it would be bearcoat or diamondcoat.

Looking for DIY

Or just buy a new floor plate pre painted, anodized or what ever

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bare aluminum requires an acid etch and/or a conversion coating first to make the paint stick. Some paints have the coating in it. Your local auto parts store should have both. Just ask for an aluminum paint. You can also try rubbing the metal with lemon juice to etch, rinse twice with distilled water, dry, and then coat with black engine or grill paint. A good black epoxy paint works well too.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I tried two this past two weeks and the results were not what I want so it's off to Dura-Coat or Dura-Bake route.....maybee just send the entire mess to Bearcoat and be done with it!

Header paint failed the car key scratch test and so did the muffler paint.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried two this past two weeks and the results were not what I want so it's off to Dura-Coat or Dura-Bake route.....maybee just send the entire mess to Bearcoat and be done with it!

Black hard anodizing if you are going to farm it out.

Hard anodizing is harder than the base metal.

If you live near a Tubelite, Kawneer or US Aluminum architectural aluminum plant, find someone that works there to run your parts W/a a batch of extrusions.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

and when the other stuff scratches, its a pita to redo.. or just squirt on some more...

key scratch test? repsectfully, hot bluing will, as well

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get a powder coating kit from harbour freight then and save yourself the trouble

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding a coating that will survive a key scratch test. Hard anodize is about the only choice but even it will not be scratch proof. I could make you a floor plate out of Titanium if you want. Cost ???? More then the action is worth
PTG makes replacement floor plates for less then $30 by the time you get done dicking around with this you could have bought two.

www.KLStottlemyer.com