Find
Notify
Tools

My ol 338/06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Didn't want to highjack Guillermo Amestoy thread...I really like the cheek peice on his rifle.(This rifle has one similar to that.) I built this one better than ten years ago, handcarved stock and done the barrel work. Got some projects in the oven. Will post when finished. Hope my work has improved over the years. This ol 338/06 has served me well over the years. Hope pictures turn out well.

Be honest what do you think?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
srtrax

Well, I really don't like the shape of that stock, but the photos show that you are an exceptional craftsman if you in fact built that stock by hand from the blank. Nice piece of wood!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly unconventional but if we were not, most of us, accustomed to "classic" stock lines, we might admit it is rather good looking on its own terms.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Different style to be cerain but you did an excellent job on it. But you still have yet to finish it. Its not checkered! Wink

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Nice wood, its shapes Look like the new modern steyr Manlincher sintetics stock, the most important is that you like it!!! If you checker it will be nicer. Cheers.Guillermo.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The workmanship is very nice. What's better of course is the years of good use you've gotten out of "your" rifle.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice looking gun thanks for sharing

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
well done but the forarm is WAY too long.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work and nice piece of wood. I wouldn't checker it. Why hide that nice grain and color?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice executed, great piece of wood, not my favorite in style, but interesting.
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of tea, but well done! I really like the long foreend!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Unconventional and I guess that is why I like it. Is that an old Browning action??

I would checker it but that is just me. If you like it the way it is, then it is perfect.

Do you have any more photos that show the entire rifle? Curious about barrel length. I had a 25 inch barrel put on my 338-06. I couldnt decide between 24 and 26 so I split the diff.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all your honesty, I forgot to say this stock i made to a mannlicher length and it stayed that way for a couple of years but i bobed it and one reason for the long forend. The action is a MK X,and left pretty much as is except for engine turning and some trueing up. The reason it is not checkered is i feel i can do just about anything i want to do to a rifle but checkering is not one of them. A friend who does an excelent job of checkering owes me a couple of jobs! I've done two other blanks from scratch,but that was before digital cameras so have no pictures of them. When i had the gunshop most stocks were done on the Fajen stockmakers pattern,(i like a stock from a duplicator as it is much faster, but i like the pattern to be over size and under size for good fitting) yes i like the classic just as much as anybody and usally go that route. If you'll notice there is only one sling swivel stud installed and it isnt even screwed down, i left it somewhat unfinished so no one would want it, because i built two before this and they sold before i could hunt with them, All in 338/06. I have a Ruger #1 in the works and a Win. 94 for the wife, then three argies next in line after thoes, and well i'm thinking of redoing this one but something has to get finished before i do, because i do like the way the 338/06 performs. P.S. The barrel length is 24". Again thanks for your responce,all was well taken and informative!

Its getting there, but slowly..will be a 6.5x55

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Needs checkering though thumb

I like classic lines, but yours is very nice. I love the wood.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

Wifes 30/30, wood from Luxus will have an octogon barrel and a hidden half or a little less mag. tube. Doug will be colorcasing the reciever!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Whoa! That's nice! Please post more pictures as it progresses.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Strax; Chekering is more easy than do you think, take a good set of c. tools and start practice with a old piece of wood (preferable Hard walnut) Drawing the lines first and using the angle pattern that comes with the c.tool kit.Pas the tool softly , Very Nice wood work!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I enjoy doing metal work more so than wood work. The machineshop just comes easier for me, but i also like a challange and that is where the wood comes in. Metal looks like metal, but a damn sexy peice of wood is hard to say no to! Wink I'm rereadng my book Chekering & Carving of Gunstocks...by Monty Kennedy, so i may break out the checkering tools and practice some more. Funny, the very first checkering job was in gunsmithing school and it was flawless, but if you dont use it you loose it, i guess. Also need some 20x glasses! popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strax,

All of the rifles looke real nice, I see definite improvement on the last two. Keep up the good work.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote