New
Find
Notify
Tools

smith corona o3a3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found an interesting rifle today. It is in fine condition except that the stock was refinished and appears to have been reblued.
I am considering a purchase but don't know what an honest price might be.
Any help?
I know they sell from $800 to lots more but what about the work done to it.
Thanks
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Frank,

What you describe has no value to a collector. It should be considered as a shooter or wall hanger, but collector value was lost when it was re-blued and having the stock re-finished, unless the wood was restored and the cartouches remain. I would give it a value of no more than perhaps $400, $600 tops - and I wouldn't pay that for it. But if you find it attractive, buy it, they haven't made one for 65 years, just know it has no value as a collector.

BTW, pics always help in evaluation of potential collectibles.

I collect and restore U.S. military weapons and have two Smith Corona M1903A3s along with a variety of other '03 specimens among my collection.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Frank,

You might check out www.oldguns.net

they sell all manner of milsurp rifles and you can get an idea of what the 1903-A3s sell for, whether Remingtons or Smith Coronas. They usually have Springfield 1903s as well.

Also www.scott-duff.com is a good source for collector grade rifles.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I will make an offer at the low end and let it go if it is not accepted.
Frank

Sorry, I put this in the wrong forum.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice & original down to the sling Smith & Corona 03-A3 that I have been concidering parting with, as well as a Winchester 30 M1 carbine. PM me if interested and provide e-mail address & I will forward pic's to interested parties.

M4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I will know tomorrow if they will accept my offer of $500 which includes ammo and clips.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of the rifle. I made an offer of $500 and was surprised to find the long range peep sight and globe front included.
I hope to get it shooting next week.
Frank

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I love it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This would be great for military style matches. Good find!

Jim

Posts: 1208 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good Frank,Have fun shooting.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I get cut loose for some outdoor fun in two weeks and can hardly wait.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful old battle rifle! It sure does LOOK like it oughta' shoot.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I have a smith corona 03a3 that I break out now and again. Everytime I shoot it, I remember how sweet the rifle is. I can easily group 180gr bullets to about as close as I can hold now...eyes not as sharp as the used to be.

I have killed deer and hogs with this rifle.

Shoot it and enjoy! Congrats.

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I plan to have fun with it. I am by no means a marksman but I have a friend who shoots high power all the time and he agreed to put it through some testing for me while giving me some pointers on shooting.
I will use his ammo at first and then reload for it later.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has a pistol grip stock..
Is that common?
My SC 03A3 and others that I have seen had straight stocks is why I ask..

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has an after market stock and was re finished. No cartouches found o the stock.
Frank