THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of these two pieces of wood?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted
Restocking a 270,do you like #1 or #2
#1 Circassian

other side

#2 French walnut

other side

Thanks for any input

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the figure on #2 more.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Of those two, I think I'd prefer the first, although it's hard to tell from just those photos.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would prefer the first from what I can tell, it is way better looking to my eye, and it is "Circassian" Turkish with a good layout through the grip area, and no, I am not prejudiced against the "French".

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kinda hard to tell with pics of one side, but 2 is the nicer looking, 1 might have better grain, but both will work.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to have either one!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
#1 for a boomer, #2 for looks..

your call

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id go with #1 . #2 looks knoty.

Need a pepenticular photo shot Though.

Use both of them !!!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like #2.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. 1 looks like the more stable piece of wood

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Number 2

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post

But what do I know I am a rookie and like straight grained stocks.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Judging just from those pics, I'd go with #1. I'd have to hold #2 in my hands to pass judgement.

#1 has lots of nice color and streaking. It is straighter grained, but it will look a little more interesting when carved; more so if you have a cheekpiece on it.

If your builder tell you that either blank is structurally suitable, I'd go with the one that first catches your fancy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to wood. Please yourself first, all else being equal.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned one has to hold them in their hands to really be sure. Even then I would like to hear from a stockmaker as to their opinion.

In particular I wonder if #2 has enough fiddleback to have critical mass and not just be a scattered pattern. If the rifle is right handed then #2 seems to have more figure on it's left side which is what you will look at most.

In summary I am leaning towards #2 if I could only hold it as it may be a "fiddleback" stock. I like those.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If it was me #1 would be my choice. I like the color and grain flow much more than #2.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Judging just from those pics, I'd go with #1. I'd have to hold #2 in my hands to pass judgement.

#1 has lots of nice color and streaking. It is straighter grained, but it will look a little more interesting when carved; more so if you have a cheekpiece on it.

If your builder tell you that either blank is structurally suitable, I'd go with the one that first catches your fancy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to wood. Please yourself first, all else being equal.

I agree with Forrest and Terry. Alot depends on the type of stock, cheekpiece, etc.

I like #1 better because of the coloration, not the grain pattern. I have a stock somewhat like #1. Everybody comments on how well they like the colors in that stock.

But, and it's a BIG but,

it is YOUR gun...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like # 1 better as it is layed out very nice and I like the couple of dark streaks it has.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK, you use #1, and give ME #2 Big Grin...does that answer your question?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you should use the #1 blank for the 270 and sell me the #2 blank.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like #1 but is that a knot in the grip area on the left hand side? May or may not be a problem.

The streaking (figure) in #2 is a bit sparse, but it would still make a good stock.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need a veiw of the top of both pieces to make a choice. You should choose the one that has the straightest grain running from fore to aft because it will warp the least........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are both good enough for any stock...No. 2 will show a bit more color when turned and both are laid out well enough it appears from the photos...Both look to be quarter sawn and thats my preference.

Remember when you turn a stock the stripes and such become larger...

But to determine a stocks quality you must look at the end grain, the top and bottom to see how the grain actually runs, not just the slab side, thats the least important thing to look at IMO...

Also are they dry in your location..I usually let a blan sit in my shop for at least a year before I make a stock out of it, then I either have it turned on a styleist or do that myself with a mill, bandsaw and/or hatchet or whatever to move up turn around time...then let it hang for another couple of months to a year..If it holds its set then I will make a stock out of it....

At least thats what I intend to do, but sometimes I get anxious and have it turned and finish it, hoping for the best and fortunately it usually works, at least so far, but it always hangs in my shop for a year after purchase......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote