New
Find
Notify
Tools

redoing jeweling of a bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Remington 40xbr 6.5.284 bolt is or was jeweled. It has been mostly wiped out by use.
Can jeweling be redone without a hangover of the old showing up in the pattern?

Posts: 2669 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
It depends on the grit of abrasive that was used for the original jeweling. Back when I used to do jeweling I would first try it to see if I could get reasonable coverage. Failing that I would wipe off the old engine turning and start fresh. Every job is different. Ideally you want to avoid altering the dimensions on bolt bodies if you can help it. Especially on target guns.

It's just going to wear off again, but whatever makes your bum-hum !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I used to do a lot of bolt jeweling, or damascening, in the 70s. I was asked to do a job this year; damned if I can't do it now. Same tooling. I have no idea why. Can't do it.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When customers started pointing out that there were guys jeweling bolts for $30 USD I got fed up and said: "NO MORE!" I'm sick of hearing about it.
Booking in the gun, setting up the machine, jeweling the bolt and booking out the gun is 3 to 4 hours. With expenses at $50,000 CAD per year or $190 CAD per day not including wages, I personally can't jewel fast enough at $30 per to make $400 per day gross. I just started telling people jeweling was an artsy fartsy thing like engraving and I'm not steady and can't see well enough to do it. Most of them are happy to hear it and buy that line with no insult.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold my jeweling fixture a few years ago so I wouldn't have to do it anymore

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished my LAST one.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Based on the evidence I hereby proclaim bolt jeweling to be defunct, dead as the dodo, gone the way of the burned in checkering and white plastic grip cap spacers, and all the other bad ideas of the 1960s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yer scaring me Tom. The next thing yah know you're going to become a democrat and demand that jeweling be stricken from history, like the civil war ! LOL

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Long Rifles Inc. has a five axis CNC trained to jewel bolts all on its own, when the machine isn't otherwise being used. Beautiful work, but It costs several multiples of $30.00.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
By the authority vested in me by myself, I hereby proclaim absolute authority on any subject as I may deem appropriate and furthermore, I claim all power as I may authorize myself, including domain and purview over everything including canada.
Therefore, let it be further proclaimed that bolt jeweling shall nevermore be spoken of on Earth, and all other inhabited planets, in the universe.
I found no evidence of it anyway, it being long ago, worn off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee I haven't heard that many big words since my mom sat on a hornet in the outhouse back in 1965.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good. I always thought it looked terrible.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vapodog used to do it for a very reasonable price and his work was nice.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Based on the evidence I hereby proclaim bolt jeweling to be defunct, dead as the dodo, gone the way of the burned in checkering and white plastic grip cap spacers, and all the other bad ideas of the 1960s.

Good riddance. I always thought it looked terrible and probably had no real benefit to hold oil as was touted. The only thing that looks worse in my opinion is the burnishing/scratching seen on some prewar customs, even though it was done by some of the best craftsmen. Funny how tastes change.

If you mean "frosting"..I get calls for that a fair amount of time. I think it looks great and is as individual as hand writing

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

uhm... i like white plastic grip cap spacers, on a period gun ...

heck,i like to look at jewels bolts on the same, and then recall i've had a few, and the "looks nice" has the shelf life of an avocado

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Therefore, let it be further proclaimed that bolt jeweling shall nevermore be spoken of on Earth, and all other inhabited planets, in the universe.

coffee Although I admire your method of attrition and ascension (crowning yourself king). It does however seem apparent from the comments that have followed, that your sphere of influence may only be limited to that one small corner in your garage or basement where you are actually shielded from the world, your kids and the evil monster that lives upstairs in the kitchen.

Just sayin.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
can we add blasers to this discussion Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
can we add blasers to this discussion Big Grin
Eeker

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote