THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flute a No. 3 contour .25 caliber barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I'm curious is you can flute a No. 3 Contour .25 Caliber barrel. The barrel is to be used on a .25-05 Mountain Rifel project. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JK>
posted
I would think that barrel contour is heavy enough to flute with the .25 bore. What is the muzzle diameter? Do you just want it lighter for true mount. rifle carrying ability?

one of us
posted Hide Post
JK,
In all truth yes and no;-). I am thinking about it firstly because the Remington Custom Shop KS uses a lighter contour 24" barrel that the #3. They also don't offer a .25 which is again abit more metal and weight. The stock is a new McMillan KS and I don't want the rifle to be overly muzzle heavy. Abit is preferable but I don't want to throw the balance off. Secondly, I must confess I like the look. Best, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Different barrel makers call a #3 contour different things. Assuming a normal taper your muzzle should be at least 0.250" bigger than the caliber...for a .257 the muzzle should be a minimum of 0.507". Having said that it all depends on how quickly you barrel tapers....if your muzzle diameter is less than 0.600 I would be hesitant to flute it and if I did, not very deeply. You will probably want to have it "cryoed" after fluting.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote