New
Find
Notify
Tools

What size action for 270 Wby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have been thinking bout building one for a long time...big fan of good ole 270 Win. Can I take one of my .06 length actions (Sako 75 or 85 preferably) and use it for the action....go a 270 Krieger barrel in the safe ready for something to happen to it Smiler

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes a 270Wby will fit fine in an 06 length magnum action. I think factory OAL is around 3.25"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
That bbl from the pair we got awhile back?

I think I'm going to build a 270-300WM with mine.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ramrod.

Doc, it is! The 270-300WM sounds interesting....

Rod Rogers who used to run Serengeti Rifleworks loved the 270 Wby, and always encouraged me to get one--I think as fond as I am of the 270 it would be cool to have--and I can justify it financially right now, if it's basically just a chambering and rebarreling job! Wink

The other way I was thinking of realizing it was if I can get the Sauer guys to send me a barrel for one of my 202 Takedowns......

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've still got my Krieger also. You may not remember, but when I placed that order, I also got a 7mm bbl. It is now on a virgin 7RemMag yet to be fired, along with my 6.5x284 with a Bartlien bbl.

I still have a Lilja 3 groove and the Krieger 270 bbls sitting in the safe. A buddy of mine and I got the 2 Liljas together. He rechambered a remmy .06 to the 270 Win and the thing is sickening it is so accurate. Hornady factory SST 140 grainers are as good or better than my best handloads.

I actually think I'm beginning to favor 3 groove barrels. They are so easy to clean, there's less jacket displaced on the bullet so BC, in theory, has less effect on it. Of course, accuracy will always be KING regardless of land/groove numbers.

Since I already have 2 Lilja .277 barrels, plus what I've seen my friend's rifle do, I'm satisfied that they are killer barrels. I've never shot anything in .277 with Krieger, so I am really waiting on myself to decide exactly what I'm going to do with it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I've had great luck with Lilja's, they are just great barrels. I've got one in a custom 6.5x284 that really shoots some bugholes.

I've always had great results with Kriegers too, I've got a couple on 270's and they just flat shoot. I'm still not sure on which way I'm going, but the 270 Roy has been intriguing for a while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first gun I ever built from scratch was a 270 Weatherby Mag. As I recall it fits a standard large ring 98 mauser action as far as length. The only mods were opening the rails and bolt face and cutting back the extractor hook. I only ever made one 270 Weatherby and that was a long time ago.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks airgun 1. I am really thinking of doing one, I've got a donor rifle/action ready to go, think I'll call my smith and see what he thinks!