THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I'm Going To Build A .425 Westley-Richards, Need Idea For Barrel Contour.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Going To Build A .425 Westley-Richards, Need Idea For Barrel Contour.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I am working with Dan Pederson of Cut Rifle Barrels on this, we are thinking of doing something different in terms of barrel contour and sights, not the usual Remmie or Winnie contours, banded sights, swivel bases ect.

I have a repro Rigby bolt peep to put on this for long range, and want to have some type of open sight on the barrel, prolly one standing that'll fold. I have an idea for the swivel base, but the contour is killing me. I found a Lancaster on GunsAmerica that was pretty eye-catching, but am still looking for more ideas.

I am waiting on a very clean 1938 K98 S/42 (Oberndorf), Mauser from the Lower 48, stock is trashed and the barrel is "rough" so I'll have no qualms using this action for this rifle.

So anyone have any nice English or Continental rifles with distinctive looking barrel, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

Thanks.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would use one of these two Lothar Walther contours. The Holland & Holland or the Mauser.
I guess that the H&H would be more historicaly correct for the 425. Give Woody a call he is a
heck of a nice guy to talk to and very helpful.
They might have other classic contours that I don't know about.

Lothar Walther

Contour #5125: Holland's 375 H&H Original Contour

Contour #5130: Mauser Type E Sporter (for type A rifles)

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have a LW 5130 as pictured above. It is a sexy barrel.

The H&H contour (#5125) never did it for me....

One of our Australian members(CG375 ?) has an beautiful 425WR. The barrel contour is very(very) different. While I am not interested in the 425, I have thought of copying the barrel contour for a 416 Rem.

If you do a search in the big bore section you should find several photos of the rifle I am referring to.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Sorry it is Ozhunter who has the 425. Here is a link with photos.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Yes that is a beautiful rifle, and it just so happens that I have a Husky Model 146 stock I acquired from a nice gentleman in Sweden a few years ago that will be a nice place to put this barreled action once I have it completed. Smiler

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the exact specs for the original. It is awfully difficult to outdo the classics.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I have a LW 5130 as pictured above.

Ditto....mine is awesome, but in 6.5 mm it is a tad heavey of a contour.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I have a photo of an early Rigby that is very similar to the 5130 contour. It is really pretty.

I'll have ask Pederson what he thinks about doing a repro. I had spoken to the fellow at L-W and he has W-R's .425 contour on file. All still in the planning stages right now. Money will change hands in a few weeks though. Smiler

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I have a LW 5130 as pictured above.

Ditto....mine is awesome, but in 6.5 mm it is a tad heavey of a contour.

I bet it is heavy! Mine is a 375 and I had LW machine the contour .025" smaller than the normal specs for the 5130. I hate heavy rifles.

Nitro
I have the measurements for the 425 barrel in question in case you want to double check LW's specs.

Jason

-Jason Brown