New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action for a 338 Lapua
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I suppose it was just a matter of time, but I got asked by someone at the gunshow this weekend to give a quote on a 338 Lapua mag Sniper type rifle. The potential customer asked me to quote it using a Remington action which I think may be just a little bit inadequate, although it is being done with some major bolt mods. I was thinking about stearing him away from that and more toward the Barnard PL action which has the remington footprint but a little heavier bolt setup and three lugs, but can still use the Badger bottom metal and magazine. While I realize "sniper" type rifles aren't the forte of most posters here, nor are they mine, I do respect the knowledge here and was wondering if someone has tried this approcah before and would care to comment?
Thanks,
Blair

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Why don't you steer him to the 300 RUM necked up to .338. Slightly better velocities and performance over the Lapua and you can use the venerable Remington 700 action. I have built a few as of late and they kick ass!

Duh! Actually, I have a Remington 700 here, now, to be made into a 338 Lapua. Actually, the shoulder angle has been changed slightly but the case is the Lapua. The bolt is coming from Dave Kiff. The customer will be using the HS Precision detachable mag assembly with an HS stock. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,
Thanks. How do you feel about the amount of material left around the boltface after working it out to take a .338 Lapua case? I don't know. People like to say it's cheaper to build on a custom action but I don't think so generally speaking, but I think this may be an exception. New bolt, bolt handle, shroud, firing pin assy., maybe rework the feed rails, etc. I'd like to get the job but am approaching it with some caution. I definately would be interested in hearing how your's turns out with the Remington. Apparently Remington is happy with it because they're coming out with one, presumably on the standard 700 magnum action.??
Blair

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stiller Precision Firearms makes a TAC338 especially for that cartridge. It retails for $875 and comes with the picatinney rail.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawton has the 8500 action single shot and repeater which like the Stiller tac338 is designed for the Lapua. It to is under $1000. The Lawton or Stiller would be your best choice. Both are usually really true and come ready to barrel up.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
Westpac,
Thanks. How do you feel about the amount of material left around the boltface after working it out to take a .338 Lapua case? I don't know. People like to say it's cheaper to build on a custom action but I don't think so generally speaking, but I think this may be an exception. New bolt, bolt handle, shroud, firing pin assy., maybe rework the feed rails, etc. I'd like to get the job but am approaching it with some caution. I definately would be interested in hearing how your's turns out with the Remington. Apparently Remington is happy with it because they're coming out with one, presumably on the standard 700 magnum action.??
Blair

There are several great custom actions that will work, but I don't have the slightest problem with opening the bolt face on a 700 for the Lapua case head. Remington is using the 700 action for their M24A3 rifle in 338 Lapua.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24a3sws.htm

Installing a Sako style or M-16 extractor into a 700 bolt is pretty simple, but Dave Kiff offers a 700 bolt already set up for the Lapua case with your choice of Sako or M-16 extractors. We're going to give his bolt a try. We'll see how it works out.

That said, if I were going to build myself a 338 today, and I may yet, I would neck up the 300 RUM.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd look at your confidence in opening the bolt face for one and adding the proper extractor. or the cost of a new bolt Two how long will this take you?? is it cheaper for you and the customer to just go with a built action??? When all is said and done what is the customer expecting to pay?? does he have a clue to what such a rifle will cost?
If he's being over ambitious I'd recommend
to him the Armalite AR30. At $1880.00 MSRP it's hard to beat.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it is expensive but my Dakota Rigby action turned out great.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Why don't you steer him to the 300 RUM necked up to .338. Slightly better velocities and performance over the Lapua and you can use the venerable Remington 700 action. I have built a few as of late and they kick ass!

Its easy to get confused with so many wildcats and simular cartridges out there.. but

Other than easily fitting into a m700, the 300 rum case (and 338x300 rum) are SMALLER than the lapua, according to ammoguide

338 lapua - 113 or so gr of water
338x300rum - about 107-8
338 rum - about 105 gr

there's NOTHING wrong with the 338 Rum, if you want a hot 338.. and easy to build.

have fun, whatever you do

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a 6.5x284 with a bolt from Dave Kiff. The bolt was really nice, I had it ground to a specific diameter- no extra charge. I neglected to specify a smaller firing pin hole, I don't think there is an extra charge for that either. The bolt I got would not work with factory Remington internal parts. I tried parts from 3 different bolts and it would not work. I put in a firing pin assembly fron GTR and it worked fine. So I ordered an assembly from PTG and it works fine too. I wish I would have known this ahead of time, it would have saved me some hassle trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. I ordered mine cut for an M-16 extractor, the extractor is not included in the price of the bolt. It does work just fine.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FFL price on a Kiff bolt with firing pin assem, extractor kit, ejector parts, fluted, 3 pos safety, and small firing pin is $286 with shipping. This is plus bolt handle, How do I know, I am looking at my bill.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Lija comments on the subject:
http://www.riflebarrels.com/ar...ngton_700_action.htm

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Its easy to get confused with so many wildcats and simular cartridges out there.. but

Other than easily fitting into a m700, the 300 rum case (and 338x300 rum) are about 10% SMALLER than the lapua,m according to ammoguide

338 lapua - 118 or so gr of water
338x300rum - about 107-8
338 rum - about 105 gr

there's NOTHING wrong with the 338 Rum, if you want a hot 338.. and easy to build.

have fun, whatever you do

Jeffe, make it too complicated and you are bound to get confused. Go on line and do a search. Search for 338 Edge (338x300RUM) vs the 338 Lapua. The information is out there, you just have to be able to sort through all the BS. Or better yet, put a few together and check the results for yourself. Not so confusing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,

What about a M70 Classic action for the Lapua instead of the Rem 700?

If I was just getting into the bigger .338s for my hunting rig I might get a 338 Rum or do the 338 Edge. I bought a Sako TRG-S Lapua early on and have a good stock of "Lapua" 338 Lapua brass...it is VERY good stuff to be sure.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
One of the problems with the 700 Remy bolt being opened for the Lapua case is that it leaves very little rim on the face of the bolt like Dan Lilja said in his link. What is not addressed here is, if the bolt is dropped and hits the pavement it will for sure bend the rim on the bolt face, your out of luck then.

Buy an action designed for the cartridge you want to use and you won't have a disgruntled customer later and you will sleep at night not worrying about the action holding up. coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
..Search for 338 Edge (338x300RUM) vs the 338 Lapua. The information is out there, you just have to be able to sort through all the BS.\

Malm,
lol - i did.. without a doubt, a cool round and a great solution to opening the bolt face... -- reads like a great round, no doubt, and in this case, the round "fits" the problem. and om this case, i would suggest the same round.. or saeed's 375x404 ... a simular approach

its an easier "fit" than a full blown lapua, thats for certain, and probably no meaningful difference at 500 yards ,, its a great alternative,

i read the creater's artical.. good read, for tactical stuff/hunting
though comparing 30" hart barrel to a factory's 24 lapua .. assuming 20fps per inch, isn't exactly "Cricket" is it?"

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,

The M70 Classic bolt is not large enough and the action is too short. The M70 action will handle a maximum length cartridge of 3.600" while I believe the 338 Lapua is 3.750" long. Also when the bolt face is opened up to accept the maximum rim diameter plus .005" clearence there is nothing left to control the round and keep it under the extractor.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to barrel two of them on Surgeon actions, they sell repeaters and single shots. They are sized specifically for the lapua.

www.surgeonrifles.com

Posts: 328 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Headache,

Yeah, I wouldn't consider using an M70 for anything that big for the reasons you give. I did some barrel lug work on a M70 for a member a few years ago that had been built into an Nyati. There was nothing but a very faint rim supporting the case head.

Kiff builds 700 bolts for custom diameters. It is nothing to open the action for a larger diameter bolt body.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked with Stiller and although their 338 Lapua tactical action is quite a bit larger than the Remington, it will still accept the bottom metal and magazines made by HS Precision and Badger. Seems like the way to go. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clowdis, go to this link. Stiller made a special run of these actions for Dave Tooley. It is said they will sell for $800. They are right bolt, left loading port, and right ejection port.

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59455
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
Talked with Stiller and although their 338 Lapua tactical action is quite a bit larger than the Remington, it will still accept the bottom metal and magazines made by HS Precision and Badger. Seems like the way to go. Thanks.

Yes---I built a improved version on the Stiller with the HS bottom metal---works like a charm!!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote