Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Boss Threads
 Login/Join

<Sgtdonf>
posted
Hey,

Does anyone know what thread pitch and size shank Browning uses on the BOSS system? Any idea where I could pick up a BOSS break and if not has anyone ever tried modifing a "normal" muzzle brake by using a lock collar? Any ideas are welcome!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sgt the threads used for the boss system is a real "bastard" metric thread. In thread terminology "bastard" means that it is a REAL odd ball. The Boss threads are 14.5 mm OD X 1.1 pitch. I wager the reason this was done was to prevent "any other devices" from being screwed onto a boss barrel. Protecting us from ourselves?

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This past fall we contacted Brownings and were told that you can't purchase a BOSS seperate from a rifle. They have limited production and its earmarked for their rifles. They told us that if we lost one we'd have to send the rifle to them, they'd verify that one was origionaly installed, and they would replace it. Yes, its possible to use a standard brake to get the same effect as the BOSS. Your tuning the barrel harmonics by increasing or decreasing the length of the barrel, to a specific load. The only concern is that the threads are cut tight enough and you have minimum runout that when you turn the brake the bullet won't touch the inside of the brake. Brakes are overbored by .016"-.020", so if you hold your runout to less then .002" total you'll be fine. My hunting partener had his Weatherby rebarreled this past fall, the gunsmith had a BOSS for a .300 Win mag laying around so he installed it on the Weatherby-works as advertised!

Posts: 108 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Browning is a huge pain in the ass when it comes to taking guns out of factory specs, they won;t do it.

FYI, the BOSS and nonBOSS guns both use a different bedding compound as well.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sgt I rummaged through my take off barrels & came up with a brand new Winchester M70 classic 338 Win mag barrel with the boss. It brand new & it's all yours for $100.00 if your interested.

Doug Humbarger

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 02-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 02-24-2002).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote