Find
Notify
Tools

What causes sapwood?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Just curious. While looking at the charity rifle thread, one of the blanks that I really like has a piece of sapwood on it. I assume it'll turn out, but what causes this to happen when the tree is growing? Anybody know?

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as the tree ages, the sap wood darkens... it's the "living" wood of the tree, in gross terms..

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38641 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
The sapwood is actually the outer portion of the cambrium layer of the tree and it is the portion just under the bark and outside of the "heartwood" of the tree that carries the nutrients (sap) up to the leaves. The job of the leaves is to grow and grow and eventually collect with all the other tree leaves in a giant cyclone and finally descend into the gutters of my home. The cambrium layer is the portion that continually divides and produces the new tree and bark. It is as Jeffe said, the live part of the tree.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
It is as Jeffe said, the live part of the tree.

And you butchers killed it!!! Eeker

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
What I wanna know is, what causes trees? Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
What I wanna know is, what causes trees? Big Grin

Or more to the point...what causes PEOPLE? Smiler

Remember...Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or more to the point...what causes PEOPLE?

Don't drink and Park, accidents cause People. Eeker Big Grin

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
since you guy already hijacked this interesting thread, I'll throw my two cents in......why do men have nipples. Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
since you guy already hijacked this interesting thread, I'll throw my two cents in......why do men have nipples. Smiler

Same reason women have brains...just window dressing without function! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?

We might be, if they screamed all the time for no reason.

"Deep Thoughts", by Jack Handey

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its good to know sap wood aint the carcus of some sap tree hugger that was huggin a tree when it got cut down by someone trying to put food on his table Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Chic's correct, and it's cambium--

You can eat it.

Various North American tribes were known as "bark eaters."

I learned this on an almost forgotten lake in the Adirondacks last summer.

Turns out that in the winter, there wasn't much to eat up there, so the local tribe--almost certainly part of the very warlike Iroquois Nation--would prepare the inner bark as food.

What's next?

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
From Websters

quote:
sapwood

: the younger softer living or physiologically active outer portion of wood that lies between the cambium and the heartwood and is more permeable, less durable, and usually lighter in color than the heartwood. It shrieks in pain when cut but settles down if the heartwood is quarter-sawn.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tree's grow so us guys that appreciate
fine wood will have it to build guns and
furniture out of.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5968 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Various North American tribes were known as "bark eaters."

I learned this on an almost forgotten lake in the Adirondacks last summer.

The Iroquois gave this name to their enemies, the Algonquin, that lived in the Adirondacks. It was a slur, to effect of, "You are such bad hunters, you have to eat bark."

From History in the Adirondacks
"The name "Adirondack" may have been derived from the Iroquois word "ha-de-ron- dah", which means "bark-eater," a derisive term they gave to the Algonquins.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Just curious. While looking at the charity rifle thread, one of the blanks that I really like has a piece of sapwood on it. I assume it'll turn out, but what causes this to happen when the tree is growing? Anybody know?Thanks,
Terry

The tree's need to move water and nutrients from the soil up into the leaves and other living cells is what causes sapwood......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coloration of sapwood is from the minerals in the earth where the particular tree grew.