New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubba strikes again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a post I found while surfing the web.

I especially like his Double Square bridge comments, almost as much as the placement and solder job of the rear sight. The white line spacers are a nice touch though, lol.

cz550

This one really gives you idea of the quality solder job.. Yah, if a little is good, a lot must be better!

cz550 Solder

Here's his commentary:

"well its about done...be sending if off soon made a 505 burns for some fella that hunts the big stuff..gawd i love those double square bridge magnum actions....wished i could have 50 of them. LOLOLOLOLOOLOL... "

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Is that solder, or, butter? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be butter so when it misfires and the bear shoves it you know where , it won't hurt so much, lol.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too long ago someone posted pics of work that was below top shelf and I said, "if can't sany thing nice..." and I got crucified for it. Not that I lost any sleep over it, but it is funny to see different reactions at different times. Even when folks post pics of their own work or their own guns, soemtimes it is polite and "back slapping/bear hugging" and sometimes it is venomous.

edited to add: I sure do not want this to turn into one of those pissing match threads! I was just chuckling to myself when I saw the pics and was thinking about different reactions to the same thing. Even the same individuals will have different reactions, depending on what is going on in their life at the moment, phase of the moon, or something.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Agreed, it is interesting to see various reactions. Also interesting how similar quality work will get one guy crucified yet another will get a pass. I suppose it's all in who you know.

Not everyone can do top shelf work, I can understand and appreciate that. But so much of what I see doesn't even qualify as "Well" or bottom shelf. It's sub par.

It's one thing if a guy is doing it himself with a genuine interest in learning to improve. Another just to say they did it.

One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
I usually don't give my opinion on threads like this but I have to agree with Marc. This is the third time in as many months that I have read a "bash bubba" post started by rem721. It's sad to think that some people derive such pleasure in other's failures.

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I notice that the island is mounted right up to
the recvr ring. Usually, it is mounted far
forward of this. What is the traditional
distance between the ring and the island?
Going to be mounting one myself soon and have
been looking at pics and extrapolating. Is
there a traditional dimansion?

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aleaddict:
I usually don't give my opinion on threads like this but I have to agree with Marc. This is the third time in as many months that I have read a "bash bubba" post started by rem721. It's sad to think that some people derive such pleasure in other's failures.

-- ale

You're a talented individual, we've seen your work. The reason I posted is because he say's this work is for someone else. Well, in my book, when you do work for someone else, it ought to meet a minimum standard. This does not. I admit, I do not know if it is intended to be used with a scope but with those integral bases the assumption is yes. And, if that is the case, then the placement of that island sight is all wrong.

RGrhodes,

To give you an idea the original CZ placement is approximately 3.700" in front of the receiver ring. You want enough room to effectively mount a low sope.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ugly work in progress pictures. - seen worse in ellis brown's double rifle book, to be honest.

high rear sight placement .. probably placed it on the barrel, and it required too low of a front sight blade to match the barrel band ... its not "that" far from where it would be on a quarter rib ....

he sure needed to clean it up, but since solder won't blue, I HOPE it got cleaned up later

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's just another good example of how things should not be done.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
721rem is definately a basher, but alludes to being a professional. Don't remember seeing any of his work though.
I'm not the "wonderful work-great job" kind of guy if the example doesn't warrent praise, but I don't go out of my way to put 'em down.
Usually stay out of this kind of sandbox, but do get tired of the negativity.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Pics are kinda small.......

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He can just carve off the excess with his pocket knife.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's not nice to talk shit on somebody behind their back.

if you want to make fun of him, at least be kind enough to notify him of it.

his work is not guild-level, but he didn't present it here or say that it was.

I used to burn ants when I was a kid. I don't anymore. I am sorry to see it being done here. thumbdown

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
Pics are kinda small.......

No kidding! They didn't even fill the screen on my 65" Toshiba monitor.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
As an acknowledged bubba, I can tell you it's a painful lot in life to be under appreciated. But we take the shots and soldier on because some of us have a responsibility to define the bottom of the ladder, just as surely as others must endeavor to define the top.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, why didn't he just mount the rear sight on the rear bridge? Or on the pistol grip for that matter. Roll Eyes

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
See, you don't get bubbaism. Truthfully it should be hung from the underside of the bill of one's favorite ball cap. Then it is ready for use the moment the rifle is mounted to the shoulder.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Actually I'm trying to take the heat from some of the guys out there that do what they can for themselves or friends. What they want or like is as valid as what others want from established 'smiths. The only difference is scale or "order of magnitude". I applaud anyone willing to try this difficult work and put in the effort.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aleaddict:

-- ale

I try to accept the acerbic wit with out being revolted.

As Liddy said, "The trick is not minding."

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen worse brazing work from professionals who try to use torch and wire for brazing, instead of silver foil, a clamp and THEN heating the work piece.

Remember excellence is never making the same mistake ONCE.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
See, you don't get bubbaism. Truthfully it should be hung from the underside of the bill of one's favorite ball cap. Then it is ready for use the moment the rifle is mounted to the shoulder.

Now THAT is funny!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all fairness no pics of the finished gun were posted.Could look just dandy cleaned and polished. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
it's not nice to talk shit on somebody behind their back.

if you want to make fun of him, at least be kind enough to notify him of it.

his work is not guild-level, but he didn't present it here or say that it was.

One will find there's people with track records of talking about people behind their backs.. and when pressed for facts (really, what caliber and serial number?) the "Details" quickly fade, BUT they "Remember" everything else .. kind of funny, aint it?

And, of course, without presenting one's own work for criticism, well, it's kind of gutless

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Judging by the way the front of the action is discolored by the heat, I would say that a bit too much heat was applied. He must have a really high front sight to compliment the height of that rear sight.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure Carmello did some consulting on that job.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Nice job on the stock, too, but he mounted the express sight too far back for me. I couldn't look at it and the front sight too. Bet dollars to doughnuts he applied the solder with that Lee pot there in the second photo......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Very painful pictures to look at...because they remind me of myself 50+ years ago when I was quite young. I was trying to teach myself to be a gunsmith, and it was slow, tough, progress. I had few shop skills, no mentor, and a wife and kids to support by doing whatever non-gun work I could perform as a newly disabled veteran.

I didn't have much (hardly any) money for tools or a shop, and it appears to me this fella doesn't either...judging by the dimensions of his work bench materials, his cleaning table, his lack of storage for his cleaning rods, his drill press, etc.

But, folks, he is in there pitching. In time, hopefully he will learn. Also, as time passes, hopefully he will be able to upgrade his shop as he goes along.

One nice thing already is that his shop is fairly neat & clean, and obviously he has made an attempt to approach things in an organized manner. Clearly, most of his work is currently done by hand, without the help of professional tools. With God's help, someday the tools will be better, and he will have developed the skills we all lust for.

Another good thing is that he is expressing interest in our hobby area (or in my case, addiction), and TRYING to become as much part of it as he can.

I hope he finds a mentor who can help him along. He surely WILL find enough critics along the way, whether he needs them or not.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote