New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Bore Guide
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you folks like for bore guides? I have used Neil Jones, El Cheapo MTM's, Midway's and Sinclairs. I'm curiouls about Lucas?

R

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
Best ones are called patch guides from Bore Tech. Beautifully made of aluminium & they have a port to place your patches for the spear tipped jags & also to put solvents on without mess.

Regards,
JohnT

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made the one I like best. It is made it out of a piece of barrel steel of the same caliber. It looks like a bolt with a fired cartridge on the end.

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 02-08-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
The best, and probably the most expensive are the Sinclair bore guides. The are cut from solid Delrin for each caliber. They have an O ring seal and you can add a solvent port. www.sinclairintl.com

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no question, Mike Lucas makes the best bore guides available today. There are caliber/rifle specific, cost about $35 and are worth every penny. Most of the other bore guides available today only keep solvent out of your action. Lucas's guides positively center the rod in the bore and keep it centered. You can buy them from him directly, or any of the other people I've listed below.

Mike Lucas
225 Browns River Road
Lexington, SC 29072
803-356-0282 (evenings)

Bill Shehane:
http://www.scopeusout.com

Hoehn Sales:
http://benchrest.com/hoehn/

Borden Rifles:
http://www.bordenrifles.com/

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drill out the primer hole of a fireformed case and glass a piece of arrow shaft pushed in until it stops...then I cut a slot in the rear to pour oil on the patch so it doesn't spill on the stock....the fireformed case is tight in the chamber.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Do you do anything to keep the whole rig from sliding out as work your rod/brush/patch from breech to muzzle? I might have to try your idea, it sounds good.

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
I use the same "homemade bore guide" type of tool as Ray. I have no problem with it coming out. In fact two days ago I had to get a pair of channel locks to grip the shaft on the guide, just to get it out! I may put a handle on mine just to make it more convenient.

------------------
Happy Hunting

<allen day>
posted
I use Sinclair's bore guide, and it does everything that a bore guide is supposed to do without messing anything up.

If you own a rifle with a fixed-ejector such as a Mauser or a Model 70, some of the boreguides with a tapered & ribbed chamber insert screwed onto the end of the guide (Bore Tech's, for example) simply will not work, and have the potential to damage your rifle's ejector. These guides catch the ejector when you attempt to remove them from the breech.

AD

<genesispg>
posted
I probably sound like a broken record but I like the bore quides and solvent ports from Pro Shot Products. They work very well for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
roger,
just leave enough shaft sticking out to hang onto, but with a fired case from that particular gun they are very well fitting...

I leave about a foot of arrow shaft comming out the action so that I am working over the cheekpiece of the stock so to speak.....

Remember a bore guide that does not fit the chamber will not protect the throat of the rifle...this homemade job has a case that fits the chamber and neck of that gun because it was fired in that gun....

If you have or make a chamber cast then you can trim that case to the specific lenth needed to protect the throat..I make a chamber cast of all my guns...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Allen,

What do you use for your 458 caliber rifles? I cannot find anyone that makes a bore guide larger than 416.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: That's a hell of an idea. I have been trying to come up with that idea for awhile; I dislike most of the commercial ones because they're either too loose or too expensive.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have several bore guides, but the best is one made by Kenny Jarrett. It is made for a particular bore size, but is adjustable for length. It is aluminum allow, and has a port to wet patches.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote