New
Find
Notify
Tools

JC Higgins model 50 trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I walked into a gun shop and for $300 I bought a JC higgins model 50 in 30-06. I bought it on impulse just for the FN action. It is very sweet and clean, the bluing is near new. The stocks finish has come off and it looks rough. I bought it with the thought of just using the action but the barrel is 22" chrome lined and reported to be accurate. I guess I'm going to refinish the stock and use it as is... except for...

The trigger is a screwy deal... the trigger is pinned to the trigger guard. I have read not to stone it in the least because it is too easy to screw up then the safety will not work... It breaks about and estimated 8 lbs. I think i'll stone it to polish it up a bit without removing much. It has a two position wing on the left side safety. OR do I just pull it and go Timney?

Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my trusted gunsmith and he says timney... thanks Bill.

Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one that I couldn't take apart for the action, shot too good. Just put a Timney on it.

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have a owned and hunted with several JC Higgins M50 rifles. I really like them. $300 is a great deal.

That said, the trigger is a real draw back. They are unsafe in that the rifle can fire if the rear action screw comes loose and allows the trigger to disengage from the sear. I would replace it with a Timney.

Also, a lot of people like the FN wing safety but I prefer to replace it with a M70 side swing safety. I believe that the M70 type is safer. Some people may disagree...

Also, the original stocks on these rifles have an odd geometry that seems to accentuate recoil. They 270 and 30-06 rifles that I hunt with now have synthetic stocks that I prefer over the original stocks.

Of the dozen or so JC Higgins M50s I have played with only one was not especially accurate. All the rest were able to achieve sub MOA accuracy without much trouble.

The less accurate one had some rust get under the chrome lining in the barrel. It's lack of accuracy really bothered me for a while but it has become my "luckiest" rifle.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i was thinking about this...
$300 investment in the rifle
$70 trigger with the ride
$120 boyd's stock
$135 in mauser safety.

$625 in a FN actioned JC Higgins worth $450
Go up to a B&C stock at $270
$775 - Might as well sell it for a profit and buy a Husqvarna with FN action. But then again I have been know to do such stupid things.

quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I have a owned and hunted with several JC Higgins M50 rifles. I really like them. $300 is a great deal.

That said, the trigger is a real draw back. They are unsafe in that the rifle can fire if the rear action screw comes loose and allows the trigger to disengage from the sear. I would replace it with a Timney.

Also, a lot of people like the FN wing safety but I prefer to replace it with a M70 side swing safety. I believe that the M70 type is safer. Some people may disagree...

Also, the original stocks on these rifles have an odd geometry that seems to accentuate recoil. They 270 and 30-06 rifles that I hunt with now have synthetic stocks that I prefer over the original stocks.

Of the dozen or so JC Higgins M50s I have played with only one was not especially accurate. All the rest were able to achieve sub MOA accuracy without much trouble.

The less accurate one had some rust get under the chrome lining in the barrel. It's lack of accuracy really bothered me for a while but it has become my "luckiest" rifle.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Timney --

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Jard, You will never go back to a Timney !

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do nothing else, replace the trigger.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
They are a great rifle if acquired at the right price. If you are concerned with the trigger, you can replace it with a Military 2 stage or FN type single stage for very little cost.

I'm down to only two having either sold the rest at a profit or pirated the actions for custom builds.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
They are a great rifle if acquired at the right price. If you are concerned with the trigger, you can replace it with a Military 2 stage or FN type single stage for very little cost.

I'm down to only two having either sold the rest at a profit or pirated the actions for custom builds.

This one has .860 rear spacing for the scope mounts instead of the normal spacing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This one has .860 rear spacing for the scope mounts instead of the normal spacing.

Talley makes bases for .860” spacing.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Blackburn trigger on mine.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
Yeah, i was thinking about this...
$300 investment in the rifle
$70 trigger with the ride
$120 boyd's stock
$135 in mauser safety.

$625 in a FN actioned JC Higgins worth $450
Go up to a B&C stock at $270
$775 - Might as well sell it for a profit and buy a Husqvarna with FN action. But then again I have been know to do such stupid things.

I have done the mental gymnastics more than once. What I always come up with is: If you had the Husquvarna(or ?) what safety/trigger/stock would it come with? Personally, I think the JCH with upgrades is a heck of a rifle for the price....

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a commercial double stage trigger off an FN for $20 and I bought a Boyd’s stock for $135... excited to assemble. Will the Higgins ever be collectible? Should I keep the old stock and trigger. I don’t think so.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There were a lot a differing variations on JC Higgins stocks. Most were quite plain and had those silly, frilly plastic white line spacers on the grip caps, which makes them jump out when you notice them on a rack.
But there were some later factory stocks with checkering and even cheek pieces. Montgomery Wards also sold the same rifles with stock styles of their own. They are all useable but nothing special.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
These are the only two stocks that came on the Higgins FN actioned rifles.

Top is a Model 51, bottom is a model 50:

The 51-l was made on a Husqvarna 1600 action and had an altogether different stock.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
They are all useable but nothing special.

I agree with the above. I would say that the barreled action is a pretty decent quality unit. IMO, they are higher quality than most of the rifles produced today.

To answer Mr. Rust's question: They will never reach "collector's" status. There are too many of them out there and they are very plain rifles as rifles go.

I have sold several of the stocks here on AR for about $75 to $100 dollars(if you want to recoup some of your investment).

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
There were a lot a differing variations on JC Higgins stocks. Most were quite plain and had those silly, frilly plastic white line spacers on the grip caps, which makes them jump out when you notice them on a rack.
But there were some later factory stocks with checkering and even cheek pieces. Montgomery Wards also sold the same rifles with stock styles of their own. They are all useable but nothing special.

The only thing similar about the Monkey Ward rifles was the actions. Though the Higgins used the FN Deluxe model and the Wards used the Supreme. The Wards (Western Field) did not come with chrome lined High Standard barrels. In fact, the Wards rifles had a slimmer barrel contour, with really crappy sights but the stocks were checkered Walnut and most came with Sako triggers. Making them in my mind at least a little more desirable than the Higgins. The Higgins was produced in much higher quantities.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only thing similar about the Monkey Ward rifles was the actions. Though the Higgins used the FN Deluxe model and the Wards used the Supreme.

Wards also had a rifle based on an FW Heym(or Hyem) action that looked like an FN but was actually an intermediate action that was opened in the front(similar to FNs in 300H&H and 375H&H) to accept 30-06.

I sold one of the actions here on AR. It had a butterknife bolt handle.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

The only thing similar about the Monkey Ward rifles was the actions. Though the Higgins used the FN Deluxe model and the Wards used the Supreme.

Wards also had a rifle based on an FW Heym(or Hyem) action that looked like an FN but was actually an intermediate action that was opened in the front(similar to FNs in 300H&H and 375H&H) to accept 30-06.

I sold one of the actions here on AR. It had a butterknife bolt handle.

I was trying to limit my discussion to only those rifles using FN actions.

True, like Sears, Wards also supplied rifles with actions from various manufacturers.

Those with Mauser actions included the FN, the Heym which was really an intermediate Zastava action, and the Zastava standard length 98. Like High Standard assembled the models 50 & 51 for Sears, I suspect Heym assembled those rifles sold by Wards that used the Zastava Intermediate actions. I don't recall the Rifles that used the standard length Zastava action having any German markings.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you are doing the trigger replacement go ahead and find somebody to convert the bottom metal to a hinged floorplate design - somewhat like the 1909 Argentine, or the many custom models available.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
While you are doing the trigger replacement go ahead and find somebody to convert the bottom metal to a hinged floorplate design - somewhat like the 1909 Argentine, or the many custom models available.

No, i don't feel like I a missing anything with the non hinged bottom metal at all. I like the quality of this style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like the gun as is, replace the trigger. If not, where are you going to find a good mauser action for $300?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:

No, i don't feel like I a missing anything with the non hinged bottom metal at all. I like the quality of this style.

I agree. Wonderful as it is.