New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's pattern is this?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a Dakota 76 safari rifle, I'd like to know what you call the stock pattern.
Do I understand it correctly that I can have a blank sent to a duplicator and have them rough it out providing them with the pattern stock as a template?

Can I make the pattern stock from a very soft wood and patch up mistakes with epoxy?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pretty hard to define a pattern, It looks a bit like a Rigby I'm having made right now by G. Slee for a 458 project but no so full in the forend, show the photos to a good stock maker and he will go from there. can't see why bog can't be used for a "make" up to get the shape right..

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you call that style stock either. Maybe an express or stalking stock would be my guess.

You're on the right trac about building a pattern except you need to start with hardwood, then add epoxy and shape. If you used a softwood it probably wouldn't hold it's shape during the duplication process.

I found pattern making to be a lot of fun. It can be anything you want it to be.

Terry

PATTERN

STOCK

I got wild with this one, but lost my nerve and didn't get it duplicated Big Grin

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice stock, and rifle too with exactly the kind of cheekpiece I want to use.
Also, could you post more pics of the barrel, is that a hexagonal profile?
If I make up the pattern it will probably be in Linden, which is apparently a very easy wood to carve while being hard enough to use for the pattern, as well as being cheap and easily available.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I have to leave for work, but here is another thread about it. Some better pics too.

Terry

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/255105468

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
Express,
The pattern is/was a Don Allen pattern for a Winchester pre 64 drop box gun.

If i were you i would not send them (Dakota) anything that you want back.

Last i heard the Saturday before last Charlie locked Patrick out of the building and it nearly came to blows.
I have also heard that Charlie has been floating around and trying to get the city to give him $200,000 to keep the doors open!

What a huge ego sitting on top of an idiot. He is a mess and apparently does not have the since to get the hell out of the gun business.

FYI.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote