New
Find
Notify
Tools

replacement trigger options for cz550
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to replace the cz550 factory trigger assembly....

Is anyone making a replacment for the cz550 magnum?

AHR has a trigger available and I have heard rumor that a Timney unit might work with some 'fitting'...

Are there any other options out there that I could look into?

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Timney that was made for my CZ550 in 458 Lott.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Timney was pretty much a drop in...took me about 20 minutes start to finish, most of that making sure what pin to push out, and what else needed to be moved, etc.. I used the standard 550 trigger and not the magnum...had to relieve the back of the trigger opening in the trigger guard..another 15 minutes or so. Am very happy with the results...VAST improvement over the factory trigger!

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Timney's for the 550 Mag backordered at Brownells. The only reason to change the factory trigger is that the Timney will set back further in the triggerguard and hence the triggerguard will less likely beat the crap out of your middle finger.

There is nothing wrong with the factory CZ trigger once it is adjusted correctly. Buy some correctly sized wrenches and have at it. It actually is a very good trigger where all the creep and travel can be adjusted out of it. Apparently there are many that haven't figured that out yet.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch & Mike,

The rifles I am looking to upgrade are all cz550 magnums.

The Timney unit(s) you are referring to... did they allow you to scrap the cz factory trigger or was it designed as an upgrade type component(s) to the factory model? Sort of drop in type parts that work to improve the factory trigger rather than replace it...?

Probably obvious at this point Smiler but, I am no smith so looking at the Timney website Model CZ 550M it isn't clear to me if this is a total replacemnent of the factory job of if its some sort of significant upgrade to the existing unit.

I am assuming this is the trigger you guys are talking about...?

Timney CZ 550M

Before anyone asks I have NO intension of doing this work myself! Smiler

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a total replacement.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I took out the set trigger mechanism on my 550 Magnum and adjusted the trigger travel. It now breaks nice and cleanly. However, there is a lot of side slop. It doesn't seem to affect anything but I may try to place a very thin washer into the mechanism to eliminate it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
There is nothing wrong with the factory CZ trigger once it is adjusted correctly. Buy some correctly sized wrenches and have at it....

. Apparently there are many that haven't figured that out yet.

Will,
obviously the god Murphy isn't on your family altar. There's too many parts, too easily lost, and too much "swiss watch" to get dirt in.

In short, it's far too complicated.. and this is from someone that HAS mastered them, and putting them back together.....

the timney is a great upgrade for the CZ

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do yall think this CZ 550 trigger would fit the earlier version of the CZ550 - the CZ 600/601?

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Not out of the box..

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
22wrf,

Did he ever make a batch of those triggers and safeties for the cz's?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
22wrf,

Red

I have one of those triggers and it is a much nicer unit than the original.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF, Dago Red & z1r,

I would love to get my hands on 4 -5 of of Tom's cz triggers & 3 pos safeties but, I am not sure if he ever completed them....? Anyone have an update?

Regards,
Dave

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
There is nothing wrong with the factory CZ trigger once it is adjusted correctly. Buy some correctly sized wrenches and have at it....

. Apparently there are many that haven't figured that out yet.
'
Will,
obviously the god Murphy isn't on your family altar. There's too many parts, too easily lost, and too much "swiss watch" to get dirt in.

In short, it's far too complicated.. and this is from someone that HAS mastered them, and putting them back together.....the timney is a great upgrade for the CZ

jeffe

Jeffe,

I know you guys over here on the BigBore and Gunsmithing blogs live in etherland, but having actually used the CZ I have never had a problem with the trigger. Smiler

Nor I have I heard from anyone that has. But if you want to drop a hundred bucks on a new trigger, be my guest.

The only reason I have one ordered is, as I said above, that the trigger will sit further back in the triggerguard.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Will,
no offense taken... and I have worked on quite a few of these, and the timney is a dream in comparison.. glad you like the cz one

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Mr. Burgess completed some of the triggers for the CZ or not. I do know this for sure though.

1. At present Tom prefers phone calls to emails.
2. He likes to earn money just like everyone else.

3. So, if you want one the best thing to do is call him and tell him you want one, pin him down on a completion date, and send him a check!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
22wrf,

Red

ZLR and FLA3006

Are there any rifles that you two guys don't have???? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
what the heck is wrong with the trigger the rifle comes with??? spend your money on things that matter, the saying if its not broke don't fix it totally applies here. If you don't like the set feature and for some odd reason you feel this makes your gun unreliable the set feature can be easily adjusted so that it will no longer work. the only thing the 550 action needs is a 3 pos saftey, like the one on the action above, other than that and some polishing maybe there is nothing else to do

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
22wrf,

Red

ZLR and FLA3006

Are there any rifles that you two guys don't have???? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Plenty, believe me. Like for example, a Model 70 of any kind. That's why I never pipe up about them.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote