THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    "Fat Bolt" Actions, advantages and disadvantages........

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Fat Bolt" Actions, advantages and disadvantages........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I mentioned to Jorgen an Consultant for Shultz and Larsen that it might be intersting to have a thread on the advantages and disadvantages of "Fat Bolt" action rifles. I mean specifically rifles where the bolt locks into the barrel or barrel extension.

What specific engineering advantages do they offer and what are the disadvantages?

What models that use the system and what did you like or not like about them?

Etc........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To start off with the rifles I'm most familiar with would be the 710 Remington, the Sig SHR-970, and AR-15's.
The 710 Remington is a cheaply made peice of junk IMHO. Maybe it's OK for the guy who shoots 4 rounds a year, 3 at a target and 1 at a deer per year or something like that. Personaly I wouldn't own one unless I just couldn't afford anything and someone gave me one. I think for the same money a Savage 200 would be much better.
The Sig SHR-970 is a pretty neat rifle. I have one in 300 Win mag. It's quite accurate. The magazine system is a little chinzy and I just can't love the lines of the action and stock. Being able to change out barrels would be fine if you could easily get the extra barrels. I don't think they import these anymore. They sell now in Europe for quite a bit more than I paid for mine, under $600 IIRC.

I'm thinking that a couple of reasons this type of action hasn't become as popular here in America is that we like to change out our barrels with various different custom models. Something you can't really do when the lugs are built into the barrel itself. Maybe if they had a barrel extension like AR-15's have that could be screwed onto a standard blank it might be somewhat more attractive.

What do you guys think? Comments?..........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the Sauer do this?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sauer locks into the barrel and is a switch barrel. There is a lightweight Sauer 202 with an aluminum receiver.

The steel Sauer 202 that I am somewhat familar with is a very smooth action. I almost started to accumulate them when the Kimbers came out.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote