THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel shank diameter for different actions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I am in the midst of buying a Steyr take off barrel in 9.3x64.

What could I put this barrel on M700? M98?

Anyone familiar with the shank diameter sizes of different rifles, what modern action is similar in size to a small ring mauser?

If nothing else I thought I could have Jerry Stiller cut one of his M700 clones to fit it.

Would be a pretty neat rifle!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
My goal is to use a Argentine, FN, Husky, or something similar.

I am worried about the barrel threads and getting an action that will fit. I guess it will take some luck.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, you probably DON'T want to use a small ring Mauser for that cartridge.

Now a Large ring/small thread Turkish Mauser would probably be OK.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,
I don't think you can get Jerry to rewrite his computer program for a takeoff barrel or anything else other than the Remington tenon and threads.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I know I don't want a small ring mauser for this project. I need something strong enough to handle the pressure of the 9.3x64 but be small enough to accept the previously threaded Steyr-Mannlicher barrel.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Large ring small thread tell me more please?

I hadn't heard of that before.

I thought there would be a fat-bolt action that had a small shank size. I really wouldn't want to use a Browning A-bolt, but I was thinking there was something similar?

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I was kind of thinking of a BSA or something like that, something similar to the Steyr to begin with.

The new Steyrs have that right bolt right port flat bottomed almost benchrest type action. I think it would be hard enough to make it work on a something with an open bolt face.

What about a M721/722/725 Remington, how big is that shank?

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Or a Howa? Would that work?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the back of Frank deHaas's book "Bolt Action Rifles", he has several rifles noted with tenon dimensions.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
Large ring small thread tell me more please?

I hadn't heard of that before.

They are well known, you can find most of the various Mauser specs here: http://p223.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm4...sage?topicID=1.topic This was taken from the "Sticky" on Mauser dimentions at the top of this forum.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Not sure I want to use a Turk mauser, seems a lot of problems.

Here are my ideas:

Sako AV or 75?

Browning A bolt

BSA fat bolt or Musgrave fat bolt

Tikka

Steyr SBS

Howa

What do you guys think?

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone lives near a barrel maker and they can make a local call and ask. I would greatly appreciate it.

I wonder how much difference there is between the SBS and the old M or L Steyr actions.

Do you think it's going to be problimatic to pursue this?

The price is super on the barrel, and it's in 99% condition.

Just trying to find a way to do this without making it into a $2500 gun.

Even if I bought a used SBS for $500 and could get a spare 8x68 bolt for it it would still be a pretty economical gun.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Winchester M70 & Ruger M77 threads are 1"OD x 16 TPI.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Just turn it down to 3/4", thread it, put on a new shank with the dimentions you need for the action of your choise. If it is to small, that is.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Bent your telling me I can make a doughtnut out of steel to go around the current threads if it is too small to fit into another action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what Steyr it fit. The M1895 S-M barrel had a .699" long shank and a major diameter of 1.020" threaded 14V tpi. Might possibly be turned to fit the small-ring M98 Mausers like a G33/40

Bud W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bent your telling me I can make a doughtnut out of steel to go around the current threads if it is too small to fit into another action?

there's threads on this forum addressing that- pros/cons pics.

here

and here

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I am surpriced to see so many having doubts about this. I did not like the pick of the small ring barrel with the largering bushing - I like my bushings to be thicker - that is why I always trim the shank to 3/4". Then the bushing can be made long enough and thick enough to make a real good shoulder to fit any action. The bushing are installed with a tight fit, and I have never had any problems with them. Properly done, it is darned near impossible to tell by looking at it. I have also made bushings that is stuck in the action, and then with M20x1 threads one can change barrels with your hands, no tools needed. But, the barrels need nuts to protect the threads when they are not in the action.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote