New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Rifle Piston Buffer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Posted this in Air Rifles, but thought I'd try here as well in case anyone has some experience with air rifles. I picked up a FWB 300 target rifle this weekend for a great price. Exterior has seen better days but will refinish OK. Shot into one hole for approximately thirty shots before the piston buffer disintegrated. This is a recoiless single cocker Pnuematic target rifle built in 1972. I've found sources for replacement parts, but I'm cheap ( and the parts are not) and I'd like to take a crack at making a buffer. What would be the appropriate material? The stuff that is in there is a cream colored, soft, crumbly plastic. I was wondering if UHMW or Delrin would be a good candidate? Any suggestions?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
I've found sources for replacement parts, but I'm cheap

Maybe you can make one out of Acraglas. I mean it is, after all, used for a lot of things. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it shoots good? just buy the parts .. or remake it from a like density epoxy and leather .. and when, not if, it scores the tube, you can complain bout that too ..

like bakelite

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39663 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
it shoots good? just buy the parts .. or remake it from a like density epoxy and leather .. and when, not if, it scores the tube, you can complain bout that too ..

like bakelite

Real helpful. Thanks.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the material is (or is very similar to) some kind of urethane.

I have some urethane suspension bushing material that I use for stuff like this and it holds up very well, even though there is about a 1/2 inch through-hole for the suspension pivot bolt.

I'd recommend the material. Energy Suspension is where mine is from.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

like bakelite

Real helpful. Thanks.

actualy, it is .. its the voice of one frugle guy to another, that has learned the hard @#$@#$ way that being cheap can frequently screw up worse than the cost i am avoiding.

If the parts are available, BUY THEM --its cheaper in the long run .. THEN try to make them to match the correct part...

or, be a jerk, think i am pulling your chain, and go off and screw it up worse .. the be angry at me for my crummy advice ...

its YOUR call, i just tried to offer you decent advice that you decided to blow off ...
and that's darn good advice ...
and worth what you paid for it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39663 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote