New
Find
Notify
Tools

reshaping cz550 square bridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone do any reshaping of the square bridges on a cz550 magnum action?

I don't really care for the 'curved' lines on these bridges.....especially the way the rear bridge drops toward the bolt.

I am using Talley QD mounts so I am not looking to remove much metal just change the profile of the action a bit.... trying to clear things up and get somewhat of a 'crisper' look out of it.

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
You can see pics HERE of how Duane re-shaped the rear bridge on my Brno M21. Different action obviously, but similar concept. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try to keep things as original as possible.Aside from the machining difficulties involved,and the risk of screwing things up,you would end up with an action looking like something it is not,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of a nicely done CZ.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=688109605#688109605

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I would try to keep things as original as possible........,you would end up with an action looking like something it is not,IMO.

Congratulations Shootaway, you do have a firm grasp on the obvious.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links gentlemen! Several very different ways to attack this problem.....real good food for thought there.

I am thinking about doing a slight reshape of the front bridge to square it off as well. That along with removing some of [most of] the radius on the rear bridge will hopefully do a nice job of improving the lines of 550.

Anyone else have a 550 modified in this fashion....or have other ideas?

7mmMagnum & G.Hansen, be sure you keep us updated as your rifles come together..... Looking Good!

Take Care,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would try to keep things as original as possible.Aside from the machining difficulties involved,and the risk of screwing things up,you would end up with an action looking like something it is not,IMO.

Or, if your glass is half full, you might end up with a stunning custom! Nothing wrong with an action not looking like a factory original CZ550...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:

Or, if your glass is half full, you might end up with a stunning custom! Nothing wrong with an action not looking like an original CZ550...
Is there an end product we can use as a model and be certain that ours will turn out like that? I don't think so.Instead we have a situation were we are rolling the dice and hoping the end product will look like something that will please us.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there an end product we can use as a model and be certain that ours will turn out like that?

Perhaps. I thought 7mmMagnum's post of the modified rear bridge was helpful. I will have to let the original poster answer whether or not that is the look he is after.

quote:
...we have a situation were we are rolling the dice and hoping the end product will look like something that will please us.

I don't really get your point. "We" aren't rolling the dice on anything. It is up to DavidC to determine what he wants the end result to look like and take steps to make it happen. There is no element of randomness as you insinuate.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Is there an end product we can use as a model and be certain that ours will turn out like that?

Perhaps. I thought 7mmMagnum's post of the modified rear bridge was helpful. I will have to let the original poster answer whether or not that is the look he is after.

quote:
...we have a situation were we are rolling the dice and hoping the end product will look like something that will please us.

I don't really get your point. "We" aren't rolling the dice on anything. It is up to DavidC to determine what he wants the end result to look like and take steps to make it happen. There is no element of randomness as you insinuate.
Truth is,he most skilled gunmaker in the world can't predict what it will look like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Truth is,he most skilled gunmaker in the world can't predict what it will look like.

WTF, do you really believe that?! You mean to tell me that if you took it to a gunsmith and told him to mill a .25" radius starting .125" from the front edge of the rear bridge and carry that line to the rear of the bridge, (or similar detailed and specific instructions) that you couldn't predict what it will look like?

Hell, I could shape it exactly how I want it with a file!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Shootaway, I've said it before and apparently need to say it again, don't make the mistake of assuming that everyone suffers your shortcomings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck Don't confuse truth with opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee,if you know everything then why don't you just mill it yourself! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gee,if you know everything then why don't you just mill it yourself!

Cuz it ain't my rifle! Geez, you are a piece of work...

I never said that I know everything, what I said was that I could shape it how I wanted with a file. I have filed on several rear bridges and receiver tangs before. And stocks too, as well as other various things throughout the years.

I am not the world's best gunmaker, but I knew exactly what I wanted them to look like before I started, and they ended up just how I wanted.

What DavidC is after might be a little more complex concave shape, but I would have no problem giving it a try on my own rifle.

Have you ever shaped anything with a file before? It isn't rocket science. A little patience, a steady hand, and a clear vision of the desired outcome is all that is required.

It sounds like you not only lack confidence in your own abilities, but the abilities of professional gunsmiths everywhere.

In the future I will restrain myself from engaging in pissers

Cheers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
...but seriously,if you want to make a CZ action look like a certain action,why not just get that certain action.When I spoke to Ralph Martini the last couple of times,he was not so much about the idea of having an integral quarter rib.From what I understood,he said that it was really difficult to get everything aligned to give a straight and nice overall profile.There are too many times when the end product is off center and weird looking.He convinced me to go for the welded and screwed on quarter rib instead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is that I feel the curves/lines that CZ leaves on the 550s square bridges detract from it's looks. Please Note: I said that 'I' feel this way....no one here has to agree with me. Smiler

That said the square bridges of many of the magnum Mauser actions I have seen posted here look really fantastic IMHO. Part of that 'look' is how well the bridges match up with or are intergrated to the rest of the receiver. Often there is quite a sharp contrast between the curved lines of the receiver proper and the straighter lines of the bridges. The 550 has room for improvement in this area. So I am trying to work out what I can do to remedy that point thereby giving me the look I want....or reasonably close to it.

Squaring off the bridges with careful polishing and attention to detail appears to be the simple answer.

Best,
Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could remember for sure, but I am 98.3742716% positive that this action was modified to use Talley rings. I know with absolute certainty that they were reshaped.

I will try to find a closer picture of the action, I think I still have it somewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, here it is:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another with modified bridges. It belongs to another forum member:

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting a CZ 550 modified the man to talk to is Michael Scherz. He can do just about anything you want to a CZ.

http://www.michaelscherz.com/Home.html

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I spoke to Ralph Martini the last couple of times,he was not so much about the idea of having an integral quarter rib.From what I understood,he said that it was really difficult to get everything aligned to give a straight and nice overall profile.There are too many times when the end product is off center and weird looking.He convinced me to go for the welded and screwed on quarter rib instead.

I find that odd since integral barrels are, among other things, what Ralf is known for. And who in the hell welds a quarter rib onto a barrel?

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
soldered

one of us
posted Hide Post
CASII,

Thanks for the pics. The second larger photo of the synthetic stocked 550 gives a pretty good visual to the area I want to reashape. The angle the rear bridge drops down tword the bolt just doesn't look right to me...IMHO. I'd guess it's a 20 degree angle +/-.....??? Anyway if it dropped tword the bolt at a 90 degree angle then take that line and go straight across the back of the action to the other side I think it would look better...(?) I'd do something similar to the front portion [barrel side] of other square bridge as well.

Would you happen to have any pics if that rifle taken from the top down? I am wonering what modifications were made to the bridges for the Talley rings.

Thoughts & opinions on this....? I am open to suggestions.

M1Tanker,

I have been to Mike Scherz's website and checked out his work. I thought it was very interesting to find that he actually makes new larger bolts [.750 diameter] to be fitted to the standard 550 actions.

BTW, I like the small 'wells' machined into the top of G.Hansen's receiver. Wonder how that would work for the large 19mm Talley QD rings for the 550....?

Best,
Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are the only pictures I have of that rifle, it was a job I did several years back.

If the customer still owns it, I will ask if he can shoot a picture from the top for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a call from Ralph today and we decided,since I do not plan on using the rifle(a 458 lott) with a scope and want something traditional,the front square bridge on the Vektor action,will be rounded.This will allow us to keep the original Mauser-like bolt handle and install a traditional,authentic Mauser safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got a call from Ralph today and we decided,since I do not plan on using the rifle(a 458 lott) with a scope and want something traditional,the front square bridge on the Vektor action,will be rounded.This will allow us to keep the original Mauser-like bolt handle and install a traditional,authentic Mauser safety.

OK, I struggled mightily to restrain myself, but I just can't help it...

Shootaway, here's your quote from this very same thread:
quote:

when I challenged you, your response was:

quote:

and:
quote:

Now you are talking about making virtually the same kind of modifications to your project rifle (reshaping the outside of the receiver for cosmetic purposes) that DavidC started this whole thread about... which you disagreed with! I see a major inconsistency in your posts. Would you care to explain your position with more than just a snappy one-liner?

Furthermore, how does reshaping the front bridge "allow" you to use a certain style handle or safety?

You are truly puzzling... bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I decided that I will not be using a scope,the front bridge could be rounded.We couild also keep the mauser style safety or go with an authentic safety.Furthermore,we could keep the original,extended bolt handle,since there is no worry of scope interference.As far as rounding square bridges and integral quarter ribs,all I can say is that from the information I gathered,these are risky things and only when I get the feeling the gunmaker has a sense of confidence in the task at hand do I agree and give the go ahead.From the informative one hour phone conversation I had with Ralph today,I felt that he thought it was best for the project if we did this,and I agreed.Ralph does not recommend that I do an integral quarter rib,despite trying to convince him otherwise.After giving it some thought,I don't want one.I prefer his pre-made quarter rib or a simple banded sight.I really enjoyed our conversation.We discussed every detail on the rifle,including function.I am glad the project took a little while to start.His work load and my uncertainty both responsible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't quite see that you answered montea6b"s question...you are still chaging the shape of the front bridge, much like the original poster wanted to do, to which you replied, in a nutshell, that it couldn't be done, it would be ruined, it would look like something it isn't (?) and you should just buy the action that is what you want. Maybe you could get Saterlee to build you one from scratch with the rounded front receiver bridge and a square rear bridge. Then it would look exactly like what it is, not something different than it is, and then you would have an action that is what it is and not what it isn't! Damn, I am confused now...not sure what is or isn't, would be or wouldn't be, should be or shouldn't be, or what can or can't be!

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...only when I get the feeling the gunmaker has a sense of confidence in the task at hand do I agree and give the go ahead.

I get where you are coming from. In other words, when you can both predict what it will look like, and are relatively certain that the results will look like something that will please you versus rolling the dice.

I'm just not sure why you would assume that DavidC wasn't capable of going through the same decision making process, that's all.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your project!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another reason why I have second thoughts on rounding and integral quarter ribs is because I don't want anything CNC on my rifle.I prefer the soft final product that comes from hand made work of art.