New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ and single feeding?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, a nasty thought just crossed my mind...I do not have access to a CZ, so perhaps one of you who does can answer this question for me...My M70's will snap over a round dropped into the chamber, my M98's will not (and I know the answer as to why, etc....)....What about the CZ in, say 9.3 or .416???? Can I load up the magazine and still be able to drop one "up the spout" so to speak???? Arthur

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Don't the CZs have a mauser style claw? If so I think it might have the same problem that your 98s do. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, which is very possible.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ 550 extractor appears to be an actual Mauser 98 extractor, not just a likeness. You will need to "flex" the rib in order for the claw to overide a rim, just like with a 98.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
mine won't snap over a round.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Ahh, thanks KurtC, I'm not losing my mind then. Smiler

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 550 snaps over the rim when closed on a chambered cartridge.

The bevel on the front of the extractor is MUCH shallower than that on a Model 70, so the "click" is much more clearly heard. Because of that, I do not close the bolt on a chambered cartridge in my CZ unless it is absolutely necessary.

CZ should have copied Winchester's design. Much more practical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtC:
The CZ 550 extractor appears to be an actual Mauser 98 extractor, not just a likeness. You will need to "flex" the rib in order for the claw to overide a rim, just like with a 98.

Nope, you won't.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
depends on the gun.. i've seen some cz bigbores that will flex over (a la mauser training) and some that wont take a loose round without gunsmithin

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To get it snap over you need to push pretty hard on the middle of the extracter while tunring the bolt down.................the rifle feels as though it does not like it but it can be done, my ruger on the other hand snaps over.

But those cz's surre have a big solid claw !! it does not like it has been bevelled etc.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
My .222 in 527 feeds a drop in single just fine. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 375H&H will lock onto a round that's been chambered, without "flexing". It dosn't like it, but it'll do it.
After all these years of using Mausers, I had to force myself to even try dropping one in the chamber.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just tried it on three CZs a 375, 9.3, & 270 and the action closed on all of them. I can not close the action on my 375 Whitworth.On two M70 Safari classics in 416 & 375 again it's no problem to close the action on a round.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a 550 in 270 that'd occasionally let the ondeck round get ahead of the claw and it'd close on the round but you really had to push hard to make it.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If you hunt DG you should get your rifle fixed if it will not pop over the rim.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArthurOlds:
OK, a nasty thought just crossed my mind...I do not have access to a CZ, so perhaps one of you who does can answer this question for me...My M70's will snap over a round dropped into the chamber, my M98's will not (and I know the answer as to why, etc....)....What about the CZ in, say 9.3 or .416???? Can I load up the magazine and still be able to drop one "up the spout" so to speak???? Arthur

Yes, and you can do it with a 98 Mauser too! All you do is press in (hard!) on the extractor about 1/3 of the way back on the bolt as you close and lock ther bolt. This permits the extractor to ride over the case rim as the bolt closes. All old-time Mauser guys know this trick - the long-extractor Mausers were INTENDED to work this way, permitting a round in the chamber plus five in the magazine...... as PC described!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote