Find
Notify
Tools

Even more eye candy........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
Just to keep the trend going here........

Merkel 201. Black walnut stock.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE!

Is that similar to the checkering pattern that we have been discussing?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Nice stick of American Black. By far the best wood I have seen on a Merkel.

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could find a branch like that on one my trees dancing That is one beautiful shotgun.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Wes,

Yes...but I can add more points if you like.

Corbin,

Its an aftermarket stock by yours truely.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Love Merkel O/Us.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Well done Bill. thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, simply beautiful...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the forearm.Not only does its wood not match with the stock but it has a weird shape.The stock is very nice.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
shootaway, you should grace us with some pics of your firearms. A feathered forearm would look very odd IMO

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I don't like the forearm.Not only does its wood not match with the stock but it has a weird shape.The stock is very nice.

You're obviously not very familiar with Merkel O/Us
-------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bill,

That is sweet...and I happen to think the forearm matches quite nicely.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just absolutely beautiful!

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, really nice, pretty wood, good work.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good-looking work once again!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job, and not only that, you are a better photographer than I.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Bill it looks great to me. Then again everything of yours I've seen looks great.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about a nice piece of plastic sofa stir cigarmaybe something from recycled ice cream pails shocker Big Grin donttroll

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Not that I really need to comment but the wood for the forend came out of the blank for the buttstock. The exact area is right behind the pistol grip running toward the toe.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I have shitaway on ignore and I'd appreciate it if you guys wouldn't quote him in your posts. It's just one of those little things that will allow me to go through life blissfully unaware of his presence in the universe.

gracias

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

That stock is absolutely stellar!!
Magnificent work.

Don't even worry one second about the ankle biter. He's just jealous.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Nice work Bill!

Lot of tedious work in that trigger guard & forearm.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I have shitaway on ignore...

animal

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that is a very, very nice piece of work you havee done

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have shitaway on ignore and I'd appreciate it if you guys wouldn't quote him in your posts. It's just one of those little things that will allow me to go through life blissfully unaware of his presence in the universe.

Thanks Forrest that concept just made my day.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Great looking work, my friend!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work.......

I have a real softspot for them there shotguns.

With all that said, since by the resident expert the stock is a real mismatch, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse... Big Grin

That most certainly qualifies as "Eye Candy".

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice work.

A note on the photography if I may (since I used to do so much of it)

Take a look at a person outside in direct overhead sunlight. You will be able to see dark shadows in their eyes, and under their nose, and under their chin. Too much contrast.

Same way with inanimate objects such as guns.

Two ways to fix it. Either add light (additive principle) or subtract light (subtractive principle)

Easiest of the two is probably subtractive.

For example, in the shot of the shotgun, if another person was standing around not doing anything and held a large piece of cardboard or something else a few feet above the shotgun you would subtract a lot of that harsh light and soften the shadows, making it far easier to discern the quality of the wood, checkering, etc.. Even better yet would have been to hold a piece of cardboard over it, and some sort of white card to the side to bounce a little bit of light back in. Or, you could have used the additive principle and either bounced with a big white card or used your flash to add a stop or two of light.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know there are some stockmakers that feel working in black walnut is somehow beneath them. Your work shows that it can be magnificent! Well done

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Soverns:

While I cannot see the details in you photo, that must be one hell of a fine job of checkering. The color and depth of the wood is almost as clear thought the checkering as through the finish. An all together fine piece of work.

Respectfully,

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
22wrf,

When I grow another couple hands I'll try that.

kaboom,

That wasnt too bad a stick. I still had a few problems due to all the figure but over all its one of the "good ones" as far as black walnut goes.

Glenn,

The checkering is only 24 lpi. Thanks for the kind words......P.S. wheres my buttplates??? Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well.....from a guy who daily observes a boat load of Merkels; not only on the Clay Pigeon ranges and in the field - that's a pretty impressive looking shotgun - especially where I haven't seem similar from Merkel's Custom Shop in wood, checkering & finish.

While I'm personally not much for the White Line Spacer - but that's someone's else's personal preference - still; well executed.

I've got many a Parcour, Skeet or Trap Range and a few selected Driven Bird hunts here where if I unsheathed that baby here in the Fatherland it would draw a crowd in a big hurry.

Nice (sic) looking shotgun IMO.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
22wrf,

When I grow another couple hands I'll try that.

Bill

Before I was fortunate enough to afford the scrims that I used to use that attached to light poles I would use a couple of ladders on each side (obviously out of the picture) and just lay the cardboard on top of them and then get a piece of that white foamcore insulation and stand it up next to anything I could put close by to reflect a bit of light back in.
You don't have to have fancy stuff to make it look fancy.

Or, you can wait until the sun is lower in the sky, or even better yet you can go on the north side of a building so that there is no direct sunlight, but only sky light.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even beter get a swedish super model dressed in a beermaids outfit to hold the rifle to improve the lighting. Big Grin

Nice work Bill! Nice picture also!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a over and under shotgun by an italian manufacture.It is not high end and I paid 600 dollars 20 yrs ago,new.The only ones that have ever really impressed me were some from Winchester that a local sporting store used to keep by the window on display.I don't know if Winchester made custom double shotguns but they were beauties.I remember those reddish stocks on some of them.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 22 March 2007 01:32 Hide Post
Well.....from a guy who daily observes a boat load of Merkels; not only on the Clay Pigeon ranges and in the field - that's a pretty impressive looking shotgun - especially where I haven't seem similar from Merkel's Custom Shop in wood, checkering & finish.

While I'm personally not much for the White Line Spacer - but that's someone's else's personal preference - still; well executed.

Gerry

Unless my monitor is totally fried, I suspect you are looking at a reflection at the juntion of the stock and buttpad. I don't see a "White line spacer".

Athough I can't see it well, I am willing to bet that this stock does not have a ventilated pad either. It may be leather covered, and a slight bulge where the leather is turned under is reflecting the light. That is just a guess, perhaps Mr Soverns will enlighten us.

Shootaway, I think Winchester did sell an entry level o/u (?model 96) and of course they sold the Miroku (101) for a few years. I don't know of any o/u they made. The 21's ( and even the 24's) were/are solid guns, although now over priced like everything else that is any good.

If you look at guns, you know some are just special, this Merkel is one of those. Outstanding. Some would give their first born to own a gun like that.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice work Bill.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Very nice
I have a Merkel o/u that has a nearly idenicle stock except it's old and needs to be replaced.
We need to talk

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
win model 23

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
No white line spacer. Stock has a leather covered pad.

Akshooter - PM me or give me a call if you want to discuss your project.