THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Recommend a gunsmith, preferably in E. Tx to.....

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a gunsmith, preferably in E. Tx to.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
drill and tap a Ruger Mark II pistol. I'm thinking of buying one with a 10 inch barrel and my aged eyes can't use open sights very well. I know I can use B-Square but I think I'd rather have a screwed on mount. Obviously the holes are right there on top of receiver and a mistake would be a real problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, I put a doctor red dot in place of the rear sight on mine and it works well. Also are the later models drill from the factory? That might save you a trip to the gunsmith.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Picture of my mark two

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gato -
Sightmark also makes holo/reflex sights..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I simply used factory screw holes and mounted a Weaver style scope base. Confused

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Mike Hammer in Jacksonville, Texas. He's got a shop next to the old bowling alley on highway 69 south of town. Very highly recommended by several whom I would seek a recommendation from.

Goes by Sledgehammer on the FAL Files forums in case you're a member over there as well.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I simply used factory screw holes and mounted a Weaver style scope base. Confused

Agreed

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

Most of the Mark IIs don't have factory screw holes, I suppose all of the Mark IIIs do as far as I know (further research indicates that Mark IIIs WITHOUT adjustable sights are NOT drilled and tapped). Without doubt the 10 inch barreled Mark IIs (only made in the II) like the one that J Zola pics above (they come in stainless and blue) that I have looked at do NOT have factory screw holes. Perhaps some of the later ones do, I don't know.

Thanks for the suggestion for Mr. Hammer, I may drop by his place when I find one that is semi-reasonable.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the Mark IIs don't have factory screw holes, I suppose all of the Mark IIIs do as far as I know

I have a MKII Target that is drilled and I mounted a rail. My MKI is at the kids so I can't check it. Just going by my MKII and the fact that all the rails you see for sale list fitting the MKI, MKII and MKIII I ASSUMED they were drilled from the factory.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Mark IIs that I can find that were drilled were the later models of the Competition Target. Most Mark IIs are not drilled. However, I don't claim to be a Ruger expert so am not sure when they started drilling some of the Mark II models from factory. At any rate, AFAIK the 10 inch barrel models that I am most interested in were NOT factory drilled, at least all of them that I have seen weren't. FWIW I found this blurb on another site, as regards anything on net it may or may not be accurate, but it sounds like the author knows his Rugers:

quote:
Ruger started drilling the receivers of all their "adjustable sight" models toward the end of Mark II production, about s/n 225-82150. There was also a special distributor model by Camfour called the MK512CA (ruger model 0199) that was the first non Competition Target model to be drilled and tapped at the factory for a scope base. There were only 302 of those made in 2003 in the known s/n range of 225-46986 to 225-57468.

AFA the rails fitting the I, II, and III, they all have the same basic receiver, so naturally the rails will fit all of them IF drilled and tapped.

I mean, I may have come in on the last turnip truck, but if the pistols were drilled and tapped at the factory, I would hardly be asking for someone to drill them for me. homer

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Check these Weigand mounts out at Midway Gato.
They use the original dovetail slot, no drilling, no clamping/marring and accepts weaver bases. Part 1974412667

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

[

I mean, I may have come in on the last turnip truck, but if the pistols were drilled and tapped at the factory, I would hardly be asking for someone to drill them for me. homer

maybe they think your blind and can't see them stir

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Check these Weigand mounts out at Midway Gato.
They use the original dovetail slot, no drilling, no clamping/marring and accepts weaver bases. Part 1974412667

Thanks for the help.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

[

maybe they think your blind and can't see them stir

Unfortunately with my eye sight these days, they wouldn't be far wrong..... Frowner

And to think, 30 odd years ago, a trap shooting optometrist tested my eyesight and I was in the top .1 % of the thousands he had tested. Now I'd be in the bottom quarter or worse.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do find my arms are not long enough any more

And haven't figure out if I should look through my glasses over them, or with my bi focals at my sites

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
Mike Hammer in Jacksonville, Texas. He's got a shop next to the old bowling alley on highway 69 south of town. Very highly recommended by several whom I would seek a recommendation from.

Goes by Sledgehammer on the FAL Files forums in case you're a member over there as well.

Superior Arms & Machine
36644 US Highway 69N
Jacksonville, TX 75766
903-589-4500

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote