New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Stock for Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who makes a good synthetic stock for the old style (tang safety) Rugers. Are the Bell And Carlson any good? I'd like one with the molded in color.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bell and Carlson makes them and if you want real cheap and tough, Ramline does as well.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not necessarily looking for cheap. I've seen the B&C stocks, are they any good? This is for a project rifle that I have quite a bit of money in so I'm looking for accuracy. It's also a magnum so I need to put a good recoil pad on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were looking for anything cheap. It's just that I seen you was from Price, and since I have a lot of friends down in that part of Utah who are always looking for "bargains", I thought I would throw it out there... Big Grin

Anyway, look here: http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/medalst2.htm

I've seen the Medalist stocks with the Aluminum block and they are pretty nice. They come with a Decelerator pad as well, so, for the price (no pun) it would be hard to beat. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is a nice looking stock. have you used them before?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you’re looking for the best go for a McMillan. Their stocks, IMO, set the standard for synthetics.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time I checked McMillan did not make a stock for the tang safety Rugers. I'll check again though, I'd be happy with a McMillan. I checked the B&C website and did not see the Medalist listed either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kwk:
The last time I checked McMillan did not make a stock for the tang safety Rugers. I'll check again though, I'd be happy with a McMillan. I checked the B&C website and did not see the Medalist listed either.

The McMillan Ruger R stock is for the tang safety models...or you can get one of their blanks in any style and have it inletted for just about any action you want.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/hunting/ruger.asp

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You might give B&C a call and ask them, but from their web site, it looks like the only one offered for your particular rifle is the Carbelite series stock, making McMillian the better choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to call B&C and Mc Millan in the morning. I looked at the McMillan website about 2 weeks ago, I don't know how I missed seeing the stock there. I'm glad rick pointed it out to me. I did call HS precision and they did not have anything. Thanks for the help guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to call B&C and Mc Millan in the morning. I looked at the McMillan website about 2 weeks ago, I don't know how I missed seeing the stock there. I'm glad rick pointed it out to me. I did call HS precision and they did not have anything. Thanks for the help guys!

If you call McMillan and/or check their sale bin you can sometimes pick up some good buys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two tang safety Ruger 77s in Ramline stocks. One is a .35 Whelen and the other is a .375 Taylor wildcat that duplicates the .375 H&H in a 30-06 length action. As both rifles have above average recoil, I can only say that over the years, these two hell for stout stocks have held up beautifully. I replaced their Mickey Mouse recoil pads (I've heard they're using better ones now.) with Pachmeyr decelerators and filled the hollow portions of the stock with an expanding foam to reduce the booming drum effect. Both rifles will shoot MOA with no problem. FWIW, I also have these stocks on two Winchester Model 70s, a .308 Win. and a .338 Win. Mag. They have worked well for me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote