Find
Notify
Tools

Win M70 Conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted
I have a left hand New Haven classic Model 70 CRF factory chambered in 7 Rem Mag that has been sitting in the gun safe waiting for a project.

I have plenty of magnum length rifles and am considering attempting to convert the action from magnum to standard bolt face based cartridge.

Is it hypothetically feasible to buy a LH CRF bolt with standard bolt face from Midwest Gun Works, standard extractor, and 30-06 mag box and convert the action over to a 6.5-284 or an 06 based round? I know it would feed off the rails and there isn’t a huge difference in body diameter between 284 and 7Mag so would think it would be close.

I know the obvious answer is sell the 7 mag and buy an 06 based action but the new haven lefty M70s in 06 chambering are few and far between and commanding big price premiums.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Or just shoot it as a 7mm mag. Or neck down the 7mmRM to 6.5 and make your own wildcat if it hasn't been done. I have a LH 06 M70 Classic sitting in my safe which, along with its cousin in 300WM, runs like it is on ball bearings. They are very good. I get the looney angle but just not sure why someone would go to all the trouble for half a millimeter in bullet diameter but that's just me and to each his own I guess. Some of the NH guns were utterly fantastic. As much as I like other cartridges that 06 has never, ever failed me when shooting game.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i would consider the following, in no particular order

load the 7mag to your target velocity -- it's easy to load down .. in fact, heavy for caliber at moderate vels turns the 7mm bloodshooter into a fine deer/hog rifle .. think 160+ at 2700

rebarrel to 264 winmag -- then you have a 6.5 caliber, with (kinda) easy to get brass -- and load to whatever vel you want -- i'd spec the barrel for faster twist for heavier bullets

SELL IT for a 30-06/308

i doubt i'd try to spend the $$$$$$ for swapping around to a 30-06

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, with a replacement bolt and magazine it will make a terrific platform for 6.5-284

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Yes, with a replacement bolt and magazine it will make a terrific platform for 6.5-284

Thank you John...being a lefty you know the struggle.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bolts are not cheap.
Those do not feed off of rails like the pre 64s do; they feed off the sheet metal box lips. Those can be bent or replaced easily, or take the spacer out and make them into 375 H&H; all post 64 model 70s are H&H mag length. I don't count the short ones.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Bolts are not cheap.
Those do not feed off of rails like the pre 64s do; they feed off the sheet metal box lips. Those can be bent or replaced easily, or take the spacer out and make them into 375 H&H; all post 64 model 70s are H&H mag length. I don't count the short ones.

I knew the action length would work just wasn’t certain if I was overlooking something on the bolt/mag box swap.

Midwest has the LH CRF bolt/mag box/follower/extractor for under $400 for all of it. I am into the 7 Mag for $750 so still cheaper than a LH Classic in 06...assuming I could find one.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMJ888:
... I know the obvious answer is sell the 7 mag and buy an 06 based action but the new haven lefty M70s in 06 chambering are few and far between and commanding big price premiums.

That's interesting considering the difference between the price of r/h .270 pre-'64s and anything more powerful. So left-handers won't pay an equal amount for 7mm magnums?

Posts: 5020 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote