Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Machining Questions
 Login/Join

posted
I'm going to be building my first Mauser shortly. I've been doing alot of research on what machine work is normaly done on Mauser 98's when sporterized. I've come up with a few machining operations: drill and tap for scope, narrow triger guard, remove hump on back of receiver for scope mount, remove stripper clip rails, and remove some of the height from the rear tang area. Owe, and i'll be truing the action also. Is there any websites that might have some before and after photos of these operations? Are there any other mods that i've missed. I'm still not sure what caliber either. I'm picturing a "tactical" looking rifle with a fiberglass stock, bull barrel, all blacked out. Maybe a .243 or a .308?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that instead of screwing up a nice Mauser, you should start with a Rem 700..bett er "tactical rifle" in the long run.

These contract Mausers are getting scarcer by the year. Removing charger humps,and the other stuff described is like making a perect "10" into a dismal "3"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems to me that instead of screwing up a nice Mauser, you should start with a Rem 700..bett er "tactical rifle" in the long run.

Exactly my first thought. The Remington 700 is far better suited to what you describe than a Mauser.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Or a remington 798. I wouldn't cut up a mauser to make a tactical rifle.
As for the steps get a copy of Riflesmithing By Jack Mitchell. Good over all book on general riflesmithing

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok, not exactly the responses I was looking for. I realize the 700 would be much better suited, and probably alot easier. I've built many 700's and they're all top notch. But I have a Mauser 98 action, not a 700 for this build. I don't expect it to be up to the remington in accuracy, but I'm gona try my hardest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if you can get ahold of Mark Stratton's book.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cl5man:
remove hump on back of receiver for scope mount, remove stripper clip rails,

these two operations are the same thing, if i understand what you're talking about. the hump of the rear bridge IS the stripper clip port.

I think you should do what makes you happy. if you want a tactical mauser, build a tactical mauser! if you want a 69 firebird with a ford 460 and twin turbos... more power to ya! =)

as for pictures... they're all over. the fantastically talented gunsmiths here produce some beautiful traditional style mausers. they may do the modifications you're referring to but for the most part they post pics of their high end vintage styled guns, and God bless them for it! the work they do is really inspirational! if you would like to see more "sporterized" mausers, http://www.sporterizing.com/ has some fellas that have done rifles with the modifications you're talking about. several of the post here as well.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, not exactly the responses I was looking for. I realize the 700 would be much better suited, and probably alot easier. I've built many 700's and they're all top notch. But I have a Mauser 98 action, not a 700 for this build. I don't expect it to be up to the remington in accuracy, but I'm gona try my hardest.

Put it on AR classiied..you'll probably be able to by at least a couple 700's

Please...don't screw up a good Mauser!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should give one more piece of info. I don't have a complete mauser as issued. I have the action only, with the bottom metal. No wood, no slings, no barrels, no bayonets, nothing but an action. I got it for $50 bucks, no rust, and it's in excellent shape.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about making your action "tactical" but if you want a basic, hopefully sound, shooter I would not alter the bottom metal, nor remove the charger hump/slot, but install a quality barrel, Bell and Carlson solid stock, do a bit of stoning/polish on the issue trigger, and I believe you can still source a scope base which does not require any work to the rear bridge other than drill/tap one hole for base(one piece)and you end up with a shooter. Only alterations you have done is to drill and tap for base. Your total cost is light years from what it would cost to build a true tactical rifle and yet it would be a very serviceable rifle. I would not even blue the metal, but give the barreled action a good matte black/gray spray paint job, camo the stock if you must, and you are good to go.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
If you are going to do a "short action" round based on the 308 case, why not get an intermediate length M48 Yugo large ring, large shank action?

It will be better suited to the short cartridges & they are plentiful.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Why not just just buy someone else's Mauser abortion instead of wasting time and money to create your own?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is no reason you can not make a Mauser out shoot a Remmy. If done right a Mauser can shoot circles around the Remington. Mausers have more class to them to start with and they just beg to be dolled up! The biggest problem with a tatical would be a fiberglass tact. stock, but then someone probley does make one?
I got to go along with the others, why not make a tactical 300 H&H and carry the flashlight in the other hand. Cool

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put the Mauser down and step away from it!

If you want a Mauser action, find yourself a commercial action such as a Mk.X, FN or Santa Barbara (ugh!), all of which trade for bargain basement prices, and have at it.

He who molests a fine military Mauser shall wear the reviled mark of "Bubba" for all eternity...and if it happens to be a 1935 Brazilian, his testicles shall become infested with maggots and his women shall be miserable and shrewish for all of his days. Such is the Mauser curse. knife

Posts: 5843 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:

There is no reason you can not make a Mauser out shoot a Remmy. If done right a Mauser can shoot circles around the Remington. :

If that were the case, Mausers would be the first choice in the competition circles. They aren't.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that were the case, Mausers would be the first choice in the competition circles. They aren't.

Maybe I should bring mine to the competition circles... Wink

Maybe shooting circles around the Remington was a little strong for you, but I have seen 1/2" Mausers in a sporting confurgration. Great wood and blued steel. At one time I had a 6mm A.O. that would do better if I done my part, she was a beauty!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in his defence.....
the guy's only got an action, not a whole gun and who here hasn't ground the charging hump off a mauser, cut and/or checkered the bolt stop, drilled and taped it, put a new bolt handle on and made an argentine triggergaurd look "better"?.....which one of you can say they never did that?
i don't agree with the whole tactical thing at all and advise the guy not to go that particular route, especially with the mauser, it certainly doesn't deserve that...agreed.... i also know i don't need a $3-$5,000 hunting rifle. i'm not a gunsmith and i know i can do a decent job of all but the absolutely necessary lathe/mill work, maybe he can too.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
strax,

I've seen, and have, some accurate Mausers myself. Would I build a competition benchrest rifle on a Mauser action? No .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cl5man,
if you started out with one of these mauser receivers you wouldn't have to worry about milling off those pesky charger humps or drilling & tapping for scope mounts.

eventually i'll get around to building these three.i'm still looking for the m85 bottom metal for m-14 mags. i'm not planning on winning any benchrest matches with them but they should hold their own in some of the local matches.
top is a parker hale m86 clip fed taerget rifle receiver, middle is a m85 sniper rifle receiver & bottom is a m84 single shot target rifle receiver

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen, and have, some accurate Mausers myself. Would I build a competition benchrest rifle on a Mauser action? No .

Would I do it, No...thats why I said they beg to be dolled up! I wouldnt build a tactical on one, but that is just my taste and the man with the action can do what he wishes with the Mauser. It'll be what he wants, thats what really matters. I don't believe the word benchrest was ever mentioned in his statement or mine. I wish him well on any project he does with it!

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I have a Mauser 98 action, not a 700 for this build.

If I were you, I'd trade the Mauser off to someone with Rem 700 or Savage 110 action. You're a ton better off that way.

A tactical Mauser is like having a super sport Gremlin - it just doesn't work no matter how you do it.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
super sport Gremlin

animal

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jerry H
posted Hide Post
Keep going , cl5man. While I may not have any creds to duke it out with a real live gunsmith, I am damn sure no beginner to shooting. I have seen more Mausers do well with little help than I have Remingtons. This is a VERY biased observation due to the fact that I have always favored Mausers. Those I have "hung around" with have been of like mind. Some nationalities of Mausers are better than others. Some people like to place their rifle on a stand and pretty much watch it do the shooting. (I know, that is a little raw, but WTF, tuff shit) I cannot recall seeing or hearing of a Mauser in benchrest. I for one, do not like Remington actions. If I ever take up bench rest, it will likely be in part because I developed a liking for remington actions. Till then, I will shoot my Mausers, my FN FAL's, my AR's even my Polish AK.

I have an M48A that is getting played with as of this writing. I put a milsurp .30-06 barrel on it and shot short cast bullet loads in it. I changed my feeble mind on that and am now about to put a Wilson barrel on it in .308. I will still shoot cast with it, but I will also shoot many other kinds of bullets through it. I have no doubt at all that it will shoot into an inch at 100 and less than 3" at 200 when finished. I am happy with that. Others may not be. I lift my glass to them and pray for light winds as they shoot.

Cheers

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

Posts: 44 | Location: East of Houston | Registered: 09 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Cl5man, throw away your action and take up golf! And find another place for advice, preferably where they will answer the question you asked! Good Luck!!!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
In an attempt to answer your question. Find a copy of "Mauser M98 & M96" 'How to build your favorite custom rifle' by R. A. Walsh. It has all the pictures and advice you are looking for. I think I got my copy from Midwayusa.com.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Doug
the m63 looks like a great 4wheeler gun!

Dirtyjim always has something neat or cool or at least odd enough to be interesting

quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
super sport Gremlin

animal

Even an amx don't make it cool!

you can do all these things to make a tactical mauser, heck, the germans used lam stocks and scopes during the war for sniper guns ... you may even have a rifle that shoots 1/2 moa or better .. and there's PLENTY of parts out there to buy and use .... knock yourself out, and have fun, its YOUR money and time .. do what you like..

remember, a high # spring, which decreases locktime, can make a huge difference in cocking effort

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mentioned contouring the tang, and synthetic stock. I don't own any Tupperware stocks, but I would have to believe that they are molded for the standard tang profile. You'd probably want to get the stock before you made this modification since you can't reshape the stock like you can with wood.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by merlinron:
in his defence.....
the guy's only got an action, not a whole gun and who here hasn't ground the charging hump off a mauser, cut and/or checkered the bolt stop, drilled and taped it, put a new bolt handle on and made an argentine triggergaurd look "better"?.....which one of you can say they never did that?
i don't agree with the whole tactical thing at all and advise the guy not to go that particular route, especially with the mauser, it certainly doesn't deserve that...agreed.... i also know i don't need a $3-$5,000 hunting rifle. i'm not a gunsmith and i know i can do a decent job of all but the absolutely necessary lathe/mill work, maybe he can too.

Ditto!

Let's lighten up a bit here. There's another post just a little ways down with Akalinin asking about chopping up a matching numbers DWM rifle and the only issues were concerns about the cost of the modifications.

Cl5man has a $50 action only and yet he's catching flack about butchering a beautiful old Mauser... What the f***?!

Perhaps the end justifies the means? Most wouldn't dare butcher a 1909 to make a "tactical" rifle, but for a $10,000 Safari rifle it's OK?

I say if you have a $50 turk or any action with a ground crest and want to build something, have at it! Tactical isn't my cup of tea, and the Mauser doesn't seem to fit this genre, but I would never argue against someone building what they want, particular if nothing collectible is harmed.

I guess everyone's definition of collectible varies. In the eye of the beholder...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I say tactical, but I guess what I really want is more of a "varmit" style. Went to a gun show in Tucson AZ today, saw lots of sporterized 98's. Most of them didn't have any mods but the bent bolt and scope mounts. Most of them were also more than a used Rem. 700 ADL. I'm doing all the machine work, barrel included, myself. I'm figuring i'm gona spend around $900. That includes Shilen select barrel, stock, trigger, accelerated firing pin, and a new bolt shroud. With a Remington i'll buy the same components except for the trigger and bolt shroud. But I would have to come up with another $350 for a used action. Now alot of people don't think a custom mauser is worth what you have in it, but I think thats somewhat true even for a Remington also. I look on Gunbroker at "built" 700's and rarely do i see people bid what there actually worth. Just installing a Shilen select barrel is gona raise the cost of a BDL by at least $400. You add in truing the action correctly, new fiberglass stock and bedding work, bolt work, refinishing work, any extras like fluting the barrel, or jewlling the bolt and your talking another $700 probably. And thats with me doing all the work for free, I'm not sure what a smith would charge to do all of these things. That turned my used $350 BDL into a $1450 "built" Remington (plus labor from a gunsmith). I rarely see Remingtons selling for that much on the auction sites. And the ones that do are usually the ones that have a $1500 super fancy wood stock. Do Remingtons hold there value more than Mausers, probably, but by how much in my opinion isn't enough to make or break my choice of using a Mauser.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Mausers were THE tactical rifle of the early 20th century.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
Let's lighten up a bit here. There's another post just a little ways down with Akalinin asking about chopping up a matching numbers DWM rifle and the only issues were concerns about the cost of the modifications.
Cl5man has a $50 action only and yet he's catching flack about butchering a beautiful old Mauser... What the f***?!
Perhaps the end justifies the means? Most wouldn't dare butcher a 1909 to make a "tactical" rifle, but for a $10,000 Safari rifle it's OK?

Monte, your post makes too much un-common sense.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are two sides to every story, reminds me of a fellow I knew in Baltimore who tubbed a 1957 Corvette (in the mid-70s).
The others in the SCCA club were mortified; he told them to buy their own Corvettes, if they liked them stock...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14595 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:

A tactical Mauser is like having a super sport Gremlin - it just doesn't work no matter how you do it.

Too young to remember the Randall American 401 Gremlins built in Tempe, I take it...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14595 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:

How so???
A mauser can and quite easily be built into a tactical rifle. There is a bit more work involved to change a few things and granted it's not cut and dry like a Rem action is but it can be done and it no great feat to overcome either

Oh BTW there was a guy a while back that took a Pinto and dropped in a SBC it was pulling mid 11's when he was done with it. Not a Gremlin But A POS turned hot rod that could hold it's own

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Parker Hale built some very good sniper/tactical rifles based on the Mauser action for years (as in the pics posted), and they were a very accurate rifle, I don't see how this would be any different. His action, his money, his time. If he wants a tac Mauser, good for him. If it makes the naysayers feel any better, think how much more valuable your pristine never modified Mauser just became. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote