New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 308Win. to 9.3x64 Brenneke?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a CZ 550 308W that I would like to convert to a 9.3x64 Brenneke...

I'd like to get some advice on what needs to be done so I can determine if its a suitable project build for me or not...

Thanks!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to sure how that would work out, open up the bolt face, new barrel, rework the rails etc. The Brenneke is basically a magnum LA round. Would to me depend on the cost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithrjd:
Not to sure how that would work out, open up the bolt face, new barrel, rework the rails etc. The Brenneke is basically a magnum LA round. Would to me depend on the cost.

I was thinking because the CZ 550 is a standard action and they use a detachable mag to ACCOMODATE smaller -08 cartridges and the like, that one could order or fabricate a mag with hinged-floor plate to accomodate the Brenneke...Hmmm...

But hey I don't know a thing and why I'm here asking...grins... Big Grin

And yep, if I'm told here it's not feasible I have no problem giving up the fleeting notion! Big Grin

But I certainly appreciate your reply! Wink

Aloha!

Ro

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
If I just had to have a 9.3x64, the easiest way to get there is to get a CZ 550 in 9.3x62, and ream the chamber out, alter the bolt face and maybe the feed rails. I doubt that you can find a solution any simpler.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
If I just had to have a 9.3x64, the easiest way to get there is to get a CZ 550 in 9.3x62, and ream the chamber out, alter the bolt face and maybe the feed rails. I doubt that you can find a solution any simpler.

KB

add - sell 308, and you have the perfect solution

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Brenneke is basically a magnum LA round. Would to me depend on the cost.

No sir, the brenneke is a standard (1mm longer than 30-06) length round, and is a .498. not .532 bolt face. its nearly a unique round, but is far closer to a 30-06 than a magnum, in size.

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

KB

BINGO!!!!!!!

That's why I come here....EXCELLENT and a great no-nonsense approach!

Thanks brother!... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

KB

Yep,...will do!

Its a darn great shooter!

I've only shot <80 rounds of factory ammo and it shoots little-bitty bug holes...

Can't believe I gotta sell this rifle but that's the way it goes!

Its SCAREY accurate!!! Eeker

I may hate the decision after... Frowner

add - sell 308, and you have the perfect solution

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
The Brenneke is basically a magnum LA round. Would to me depend on the cost.

No sir, the brenneke is a standard (1mm longer than 30-06) length round, and is a .498. not .532 bolt face. its nearly a unique round, but is far closer to a 30-06 than a magnum, in size.

I hate to nit pick, but, the x64 Brenneke, is a rebated rim cart. The rim is, .495-.498 the body starts at .505-.508, depending on the referance material.
The x62 Mauser starts off like a 6.5x55 @ .476, which is the reason for not using '06 brass.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess what I was trying to say perhaps not very well is the Brenneke is closer to a magnum action than a 30-06 action. I have thought about converting my CZ550 in 9.3X62 to the Brenneke, but the X62 just works so well and brass is a whole lot easier to find.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep, its slightly rebated.. and the parent of the 376 steyr, which is STILL one of my favorite rounds

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess what I was trying to say perhaps not very well is the Brenneke is closer to a magnum action than a 30-06 action. I have thought about converting my CZ550 in 9.3X62 to the Brenneke, but the X62 just works so well and brass is a whole lot easier to find.

Yep, I've been wanting a 9.3x62 for quite some time. I'm now deliberating the same thing myself for the reasons you just mentioned...

I may have to seriously re-think this decision! bewildered

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
stick some x64 brass in the mag and see ..

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
quote:
I have thought about converting my CZ550 in 9.3X62 to the Brenneke, but the X62 just works so well and brass is a whole lot easier to find.

Yep, I've been wanting a 9.3x62 for quite some time. I'm now deliberating the same thing myself for the reasons you just mentioned...

LateBloomer,
I think this isn't really a tough decision. Realizing how difficult it is to part with an accurate rifle, my recommendation is don't sell it. The 308 certainly has its place for a guy who enjoys deer, black bear, or hog hunting. It's perfect.

If you just want or need something bigger to shoot, the 9.3x62 is plenty anywhere except maybe Africa. Although the 9.3x64 is a great cartridge, brass and factory ammo is getting harder to find, and the extra power just isn't needed anyway.

Two CZs like that are all a fellow really needs for big game, from deer to brown bear.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
quote:
I have thought about converting my CZ550 in 9.3X62 to the Brenneke, but the X62 just works so well and brass is a whole lot easier to find.

LateBloomer,
I think this isn't really a tough decision. Realizing how difficult it is to part with an accurate rifle, my recommendation is don't sell it. The 308 certainly has its place for a guy who enjoys deer, black bear, or hog hunting. It's perfect.

If you just want or need something bigger to shoot, the 9.3x62 is plenty anywhere except maybe Africa. Although the 9.3x64 is a great cartridge, brass and factory ammo is getting harder to find, and the extra power just isn't needed anyway.

Two CZs like that are all a fellow really needs for big game, from deer to brown bear.

KB

KB- You are much too CORRECT... thumb

I just can't bring myself to sell or even rebarrel that bugger!

With 16 rifles between my son and I,...we have more than what we NEED...

My 30-06 did fine last year in Africa for Plains Game and as well as my son...

It will be just as well for our second trip we're planning for 2011...

Maybe after that we'll hunt Cape Buff, and if that safari materializes we'll look into the 375 H&H and larger bores!

I appreciate you taking the time and being the gentle VOICE of REASON when I needed it the most...

I should be saving up my monies now for 2011, instead of splurging it on something I don't really need for a good long while!

Aloha brother!beer

Ro