Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X safety options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I have a Mark X (Zastava, as they are known here in RSA) .270 Winchester, and I have just purchased an identical .30-06.

These two rifles will cover 98% of all my hunting requirements. I liked the idea of having two rifles that I will use most having exactly the same length of pull, comb heights etc. Fortunately the Butler Creek synthetic stock fits me perfectly, even though it is a cheapo.

Anyway, I was just wondering what suggestions you may have in terms of replacing the trigger safety with a Winchester-type 3-position safety?

The Gentry Custom shroud looks tops, but is pricey.

A local manufacturer makes a Buehler style three-position safety for the standard military Mauser bolt shroud, so it may be an option for me to find two bolt shrouds and have these fitted, along with the safety.

Would this work for such an application?

Brownells Mauser bolt shroud

Cheers

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes those will work on a MKX. By the time you buy them and then have the safety added are you saving that much $$?. If the Gentry are too expensive then you won't like the other options.

Cheapest would be to by a M98 2 position.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right, probably worth saving up for the Gentry, as it would be first prize, and it's not like option B is for free.

Does the Winchester-type safety actually lock the firing pin? Does this make it safer than a trigger safety? i.e. Are there situations where a trigger safety can be dangerous, but a shroud safety would be safe?

As they say, the best safety is between your ears, isn't it?

Love the look of the Gentry though.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Day,
From reading this forum extensively regarding 3 position safeties I would shy away from Gentry. It seems they have machining and fitment issues which may cause you and your gunsmith more grief than is tolerable and, in some cases, a return to supplier for replacement. I fit a Dakota to a M 98 with great results. Many others have had similar experiences with Dakota. Recknagel or Ed Lapour (sp) are 2 other possible sources, though more money. Ed has a web site showing various applications. There are also Buehler and Mark II 2 position wing safeties if using a M98 shroud. Easy to fit, too.

I forgot to add, all above mentioned safeties including Chapmen block the firing pin. I feel these all superior to a trigger block and just as quick to disengage. Some may disagree.

Good luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a Gentry on a Zastave action that I'm pretty happy with however they are not cheap and you have to find someone to fit it. There are some other 3 position safeties out there as nice but same fitment required.

Second choice would be a Winchester style 2 position safety (chapman style?) I have one of these on another Mauser and I really like it a lot too. I believe Jim Kobe on this forum still does these.

Third choice is not even a choice for me is the Beuhler style which I can't stand. Problem for me is they ride too close to the scope and in a fast situation or with gloved hands you may not be able to dis-engage, plus any twig or brush can grab it and dis-engage it easier than your own finger.

I completely agree about setting up multiple rifles with same or similar safety and function. I have mostly Winchesters so the Mausers I mentioned above were an easy decision to convert to that style.
Good luck with yours.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few of the two position ones available and they are NOT the champman conversions.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

what would these cost? Are you able to ship to South Africa?

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM coming

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
FWIW I had Mr. Kobe put a two position on my Parker Hale .458 Lott. Works perfectly for me, it stays securely on till you give it a reasonable push and then it snaps off with no intermediate position to cause mischief.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:
Good Day,
From reading this forum extensively regarding 3 position safeties I would shy away from Gentry. It seems they have machining and fitment issues which may cause you and your gunsmith more grief than is tolerable and, in some cases, a return to supplier for replacement. I fit a Dakota to a M 98 with great results. Many others have had similar experiences with Dakota. Recknagel or Ed Lapour (sp) are 2 other possible sources, though more money. Ed has a web site showing various applications. There are also Buehler and Mark II 2 position wing safeties if using a M98 shroud. Easy to fit, too.

I forgot to add, all above mentioned safeties including Chapmen block the firing pin. I feel these all superior to a trigger block and just as quick to disengage. Some may disagree.

Good luck,

Stephen

I agree, I've had enough issues with Gentry safeties that I will not install them anymore. To Gentry's credit, they made good on all the issues but my customers were stuck paying the shipping and of course weren't happy about the delays.

Ed Lapour's are tops but much more pricey than a Gentry.

The Wisner two position safeties are very good. Just buy a couple of surplus 98 shrouds and have them installed. I recommend having these conversions done with the rifle in hand to preclude any fitment issues.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone is looking for 3 position safeties for remington we sent 200 kits to Rich Reiley over at High Tech customs today. Rich is going to sell the kits and also complete firing pin assemblies over the counter. He will install them also. His number is 719-667-1090. He said he would have us machine a order of any other brands of rifle 3 position safeties if customers asked. I would give Rich a call. Thanks Dave

Posts: 26 | Location: eagle point  | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life can be so simple for you, really...

Speak to Danie Joubert in Pretoria about any (Mauser) rifle-related problems and they'll dissappear in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Really absolutely no need to try to import any "gun related" products into SA and inviting the ire of the powers-that-be.

Of course, if you REALLY want to...

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Reamer,

Ed LaPour refered me to Rich at High Tech as he was making the LaPour style safety. Has this changed recently or are the LaPour safety and yours(PTG) one and the same ?
Thanks
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We machine a new safety for rich. It looks like a winchester but is machined to work great with remington stricker assemblies.

Posts: 26 | Location: eagle point  | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Reamer
Maybe you've stated this before but what shop are you or do you represent or are associated with?
You got a link to your work?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
when/if available, dakota has had better results for me than gentry

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Hey Reamer
Maybe you've stated this before but what shop are you or do you represent or are associated with?
You got a link to your work?

Umm he's Dave Kiff, owner of PTG (Pacific Tool & Gauge) reamers?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote