New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shilen Swap meet-3rd annual
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The swap meet will be held at Shilens again this year. http://www.shilen.com/swapMeet.html Bring your table and goods. No charge to you. Shilen will feed us. No jewelry or beef jerky. Tours of the shop will be available. We expect Dave Kiff from Pacific Tool to be there to visit with.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27 - 8am - 3pm
205 METRO PARK BLVD.
ENNIS, TX 75119

ANYONE CAN SET UP A TABLE
OR PULL UP AND DROP YOUR TAILGATE.

NO ENTRY FEE!
(No jewelry or beef jerky please)

Shilen will provide complimentary Chili/Frito Pie and Sodas/Water/Coffee.
For this reason please call if you plan on attending so we can have a rough head count.
Factory tours will be given.
If you want to put up a table, please contact us if you can attend. We will add you to the list of vendors.

I hope to make it this year.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiousity, what kind of good stuff has been available at this swap meet in years past?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'll be there, again!!

22, I have seen everything from $40 22 rifles to high end bench guns, and even brought some big bores myself. lots of reloading gear, some tools, lots of guns, ... the crowd is certainly more of the benchrest, hunters, and remington, all highly accurate shooting.. lots of good talk, good trades, and a nice time

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Butch, been wondering when you would post about the next swap meet. I will put it on my calender. Been to both of the swap meets there so far, planning to make this one too. Had a great time at both of them.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer, my Grandson needs some custom ear plugs. David Christman will be there and the guy with all those Shilen DGA's will also have them there. Jeffe, Keith, and others let J at Shilen know and they will list you and your goods on their website gratis.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'll plan on it too; most likely the wife and I.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch

As discussed earlier, I plan to be there Friday afternoon through Saturday.

I will bring a few guns and goodies.

Do you recomend any particular motel?

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best Western, Comfort Inn, and Days Inn are some that come to mind. I forgot which the wife reserved.If you bring a folding table, My extra is in a clutttered shop.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since no one has asked, I have to...

I have worked a lot of places where you could wear no jewelry and fully understand that one, but why no beef jerky? I am sorta scared to ask and might be walking into joke trap here, but I just had to ask.

I wish I still lived in LA and could be there with y'all. Sounds like it will be a great time.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Same weekend as Houston Gun Collectors?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I have worked a lot of places where you could wear no jewelry and fully understand that one, but why no beef jerky? I am sorta scared to ask and might be walking into joke trap here, but I just had to ask.

Marc,
That's about what you can SELL... i usually see it as no tsthirts or beef jerky, as several local guns shows HAD gone to 50+% of the show being non shooting related crap

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun, I'll try to make it......I'm planning on going to Tulsa the 20th, if working my cattle for a couple of days before that doesn't do me in......I'm getting too old and fat for this many cattle. I'm planning on selling quite a few, make the winter feeding chores easier.

BTW anyone want to go on a longhorn shoot?

I've got a couple of young bulls in the area of my ranch that I reserve for hunting (no cattle) and it's going to be more trouble to get them out than they're worth. I'd guess they'll weigh at least 750 or more, probably the larger one is nearer 900 but I haven't seen him for a while, one's mostly red speckled and one's white and black spotted. $300 each, your choice if a choice is available, (video extra, (I'm joking)) and I'll help hang them,(or one of them, your choice, assuming you'd even have a chance at two, they're not always together), probably with my tractor, after that, you may be on your own depending on my schedule. You can have it all, meat, hide, head (but these are too young to be a good trophies Roll Eyes) I might or might not help with the skinning, etc, depending on what's going on. Believe it or not, this is not a completely walk out in the pasture and shoot them deal, they're somewhat wary and are not easy to find.....of course, I'm not calling it a real hunt at all, but it is certainly possible you could come over here and not see one. OTOH, we could drive through the gate and one or both of them could be standing there looking at us. If you can't shoot, don't apply. I don't want a wounded bull running around in the bushes. This ain't Africa, and I have no Mark Sullivan aspirations. However, African rules will apply, if you wound him, you own him, whether we find him or not. I can't imagine that happening but ya never know. There are some VERY thick areas in places covering hundreds of acres and if he gets in there, finding him would be a real maybe. You can "hunt" them on foot, on 4 wheeler (yours), or out of my truck window, doesn't matter to me. This will be a mostly unguided hunt, unless I'm driving..... clap

ALSO, I'm fairly sure that many, if not all, Texas meat processors are NOT allowed by state law to process dead beef (that is dead when it arrives at their location) so you had better plan on cutting and/or grinding it yourself or find someone that will do it for you or, if you think you're a real cowboy(s), bring your horses and ropes and insurance (dogs would probably help too) and you can take them alive Wink. Bring plenty of ice chests or bring some large ones or some combination of the above AND, you'll need plenty of freezer space somewhere to store the proceeds. BTW, not that it really matters, but these bulls are probably "organic" that is they have never been wormed or given shots, although they may or may not have eaten some of the wormer blocks I've put out, but that would be 5 months ago at a minimum. I could go on, longhorn beef has about 50% of the cholestrol of normal beef. How tough it would be is a real maybe. If it was me, I'd plan on using the ribs for BBQ, the backstrap and tenderloins for beef, maybe some of the round for chicken fried, and the rest for hamburger, but that would be a lot of hamburger. Let me know what it tastes like when you dig in. Wink

Finally be aware that skinning and handling one of these is going to be at least as much trouble as an elk and if you're not capable of doing it, don't come. Especially if you shoot two of them, you'll need some help. I wouldn't recommend two for one person, but once they're down, that's your problem. Temperatures should be considered. Like I said, I'll hang it for you, outside, if I haven't made that clear, on the forks of one of my tractors, and I may help, but then again, I may not, and it is a fair amount of work.

I'm doing this mostly to meet a fellow ARer or two, and to get rid of these two damn bulls. This amounts to a decent bargain for eating beef if you don't count your time and effort. If we can't find one, and I stress that is certainly a possibility, and you really want some longhorn beef, I'll let you go into my cattle pasture and pick one out, prices would vary, but about the same size bull would be at least $400 and this would be strictly a SHOOT, no sport at all, most of the real "trophy" heads would be on cows and they would be fairly high, starting at $750 and up, mostly because I don't want my good cows shot. If you come after next Thursday, the 18th, the "pasture" selection will be substantially less, I'm planning on selling several hundred if we can catch them. If no one takes me up on this, I'm shooting the next one of these bulls that I see if the temperature is below 50 and hopefully I've got some help around.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Same weekend as Houston Gun Collectors?

Yeap, same Saturday. I'll be in Ennis>

Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Since no one has asked, I have to...

I wish I still lived in LA and could be there with y'all. Sounds like it will be a great time.

Dumb question

Why does it make a difference whether you live in LA or Cloquet as to whether you attend a gun show in Ennis Texas?

one of us
posted Hide Post
4 hour drive vs. 24 hour drive. Each way.

I originally thought the "no jewlery" admonition was due to rotating equipment in a shop tour, but now see it was referring to the high-end jewelry I have seen at gunshows. At least when your next ex-wife divorces you, you won't cry when thinking about what you spent on it.

See, I DID learn some things from my first ex-wife!!! Wink

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on a bad day it takes at least 4 hours just to get out of LA Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22wrf,
I believe he is talking about Louisana.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
22wrf,
I believe he is talking about Louisana.
Butch

jumping

Go Cool Hand Luke!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch

How many people attended the Shilen Swap Meet last year? Were some of them general public from the immediate area?

I'll be bringing a few guns but was wondering what other type of goodies I should bring. One thing I'm considering is a Benchmaster Vertical Mill.

I may list some of the guns I'm bringing and and the mill in the AR classifieds if I can figure out how to post a photo.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Freddy,
Up until this year it was mostly just us guys from different shooting sports. Shilen has reached out to the general public this time and I think what you have will appeal to a larger audience.Any reloading stuff or gun related items have sold well.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dam ; Those Texans have all the fun or luck or both .

I saw a sign out in the panhandle once , it read .
If your reading this your lost head on back from where you come from .

I do swear by or rather love eaten BBQ in that State .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . Have Fun ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote