New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mag to7ultra
 Login/Join

<toto>
posted
I can't get any response on another board so I wil try this one. I wondering if I can convert my model 700 rem. 7mag to a 7ultra if so how much hastle. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than the re-chambering itself, the mag box needs to be changed out for a factory ultramag version or an aftermarket box. The feed rails will also need to be opened up a bit.

The magazine follower is the same as the 7 Mag.

The Ultra Mags really need a minimum of a 26 inch barrel though. (IMHO)

Hope this helps some, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JMac is right on track.

I've converted 2 and they required the ultra mag box and had to open up the rails quite a bit. Then spend quite a bit of time fine tuning to get it to feed.

The easiest of course is the 7mm STW, just rechamber and it will feed perfect, no other changes.

Posts: 1531 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<toto>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
JMac is right on track.

I've converted 2 and they required the ultra mag box and had to open up the rails quite a bit. Then spend quite a bit of time fine tuning to get it to feed.

The easiest of course is the 7mm STW, just rechamber and it will feed perfect, no other changes.

Jmac and Craftman I appreciate your response. I will probably go with the STW, although I already have one I had custom built on a mauser action with a Douglas premium 27" barrel. I was just thinking I could probably get the same results with the ultra with less pressure. I like the STW as well if not more than any oyher rifle I've ever owned, so one more sure couldn't hurt my feelings a bit. Thanks again. fws

one of us
posted Hide Post
The mag box for the 7 Rem Mag is the same as the STW.ALL Rem 700 long action mag boxes are the same except the Ultra which have the sides cut out to clear the shoulders of the cartridges so you can fit three in the box.I have compared and swapped most of them and they all interchange.You can use your original box if you are content with 2 cartridges in the magazine.(should be enough).As for the barrel length.My 24" 7 Rem Mag is 200-300 fps behind a friends 24" STW.The Ultra should outrun the STW even in 24".(where's stubblejumper?)I wouldn't let a couple of inches of barrel prevent me from having what I want.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote