THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I need to start looking for a couple of stock blanks

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to start looking for a couple of stock blanks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven’t bought a stock blank in years. I have one blank left and pretty sure I bought it on eBay and it’s pretty nice.

I bought a bunch of them years back from a guy that was a retired stumper in California. He moved to Arkansas when he retired but he could still get wood but that was years back, 15-20 years. I used those blanks. I sold a few here on AR, wish I had them back.

I’ve poked a round online a little but everything I liked was so over priced. I may call Cecil Freddy next week, I bet he is still in the stock busines.

Where are some of you guys buying Blanks from.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cecil has a ton of nice wood and has always been my go-to blank provider. My last blank was bought from Roger Vardy as I'd seen so many beautiful stocks posted here that were sourced from him so I figured I'd give him a try. He was a real pleasure to deal with and the blank looked better when it arrived than it did in the photos (which says a lot). You can't go wrong with either men in my opinion.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s been a while, but I also used Cecil Fredi with great results.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
I haven’t bought a stock blank in years. I have one blank left and pretty sure I bought it on eBay and it’s pretty nice.

I bought a bunch of them years back from a guy that was a retired stumper in California. He moved to Arkansas when he retired but he could still get wood but that was years back, 15-20 years. I used those blanks. I sold a few here on AR, wish I had them back.

I’ve poked a round online a little but everything I liked was so over priced. I may call Cecil Freddy next week, I bet he is still in the stock busines.

www.rogervardystockwood.com

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:

www.rogervardystockwood.com Shipping is very resonable when ordering more than one, and the exchange rate is in our favor.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Heilmann in Grass Valley, CA has sold me blanks of high quality Turkish. He has a lot of fine walnut for sale.

website? Steve Heilmann WOOD

Check ACGG website for other suppliers as well.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rodger Vardy does have some nice stocks for the money and the exchange rate is favorable. Thanks much for the info. I recall seeing his website but it’s been years back.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
Cecil has a ton of nice wood and has always been my go-to blank provider.

Cecil Fredi Quotes
"C'mon by, I'll have the trap set for ya."

"Everything I have is for sale, except my wife and my dog. Sometimes I'm not too sure about the wife!"

LOL

My next trip down through LV I am stopping in.
https://www.gunstockblanks.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in Las Vegas, I got married at one of those drive through get married places. But I refused to pay extra for the preacher that looked like Elvis.

I didn’t even think about looking gun stock wood. I missed out.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
Larry's wood, choice, and cut was exception at 3x the price

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Billy,
Larry's wood, choice, and cut was exception at 3x the price

Who is Larry?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'm in vegas right now till 1/2

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

Swing by Cecils and leave Las Vegas penniless like so many others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who is Larry?

Doug,

I think Larry was the guy I bought a bunch of blanks from, Jeff probably remembers better than I do he got a couple of them too.

Had to be 2002 or 3 if I had to guess. I was still living in Corpus Christi, tx at the time.

I can't remember where I ran across the guy, he sent me some pics of blanks. There were a couple I wanted. He insisted he bring them to me. I was like its a long way from Arkansas to Corpus Christi, Tx. One rainy Sat. morning I get a call and he says he is about an hr away. He shows up at my house with a bunch of blanks wrapped in a blue tarp.

I can't remember how many I bought, but it was a mix if English, Bastone, Claro and American.

He sold me the first bunch at about the going price at the time if I had to guess, but next I tried to buy price went way up as I recall.

Pretty sure the 458 lott and the 404 I built I used Bastone I got from him. I stocked a 376 Steyr with a piece of american. One piece of English was pretty good, used it on a CZ 550 375 H&H. The other piece of English intended for 300 H&H came out kinda one sided when Mike Kokolas turn it. I still have not inletted after all these years. I will get around to it someday, provided bass fishing and hunting doesnt get in the way.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've gotten some nice blanks from Calico

http://www.calicohardwoods.com/index.php

If I remember right Wayne at American hunting Rifles gets his blanks from them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
been there done that

quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

Swing by Cecils and leave Las Vegas penniless like so many others.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Larry, sadly, i have forgotten his surname, lived outside of Little Rock - i bought more than a couple blanks from him, 1/3 of then fully dried, bastogne, but a great price, and about 1/3 claro, fully dried, again at a great price (couldn't tell ya what it was, I don't recall) and 1/3 of the best quarter sawn, but wet, checkerboard bastogne I have seen ... sold/carved all of them over time ...

I think my 550 express AND 550 flanged double rifle I built were stocked in the later

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote