Find
Notify
Tools

Which Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I trying to decide between a Shilen and a Lothar-Walther is there really any difference in the two that I would notice in a hunting rifle. Which would you choose and why. Thanks

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1SG:
I trying to decide between a Shilen and a Lothar-Walther is there really any difference in the two that I would notice in a hunting rifle. Which would you choose and why. Thanks

I use Shilen because they are good barrels and its a 30 year habit.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, either one will serve you fine in a hunting rifle.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic about summed it up. Either is fine, but like Wally, I'm comfortable with Shilen tubes, and if my choice was between those two, I'd go with Shilen just out of habit.

<Rusty>
posted
Rob,
I chose the Lothar-Walther barrel for my 404 Jeffery project on Ray Atkinson's recommendation.

After spending over an hour on the phone with the manager in the Georgia office, I am even more convinced that I made the right choice. If there are folks who are using the most modern state of the art equipment and techniques, it Lothar. These folks know what they are doing!

My barrel has been shipped to John Ricks who is putting the rifle together. Now if I can get someone to prod Montana along with the PH series, I'll buy the first round for the members!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

<Celt>
posted
I like the Lothar Walther tubes and use many of them.
Every one has been a shooter and fouling is all but a memory with them.

Celt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought a few of each, put them on rifles, and shot them.

The chrome moly steel barrels from Shilen are not hand lapped, but the stainless are to get the copper out.

The chrome moly steel barrels from LW are hand lapped and stress relieved in a way that makes mine shot straight when hot.

So I think LW CM barrels have the edge on Shilen CM barrels for prairie dog hunting, but deer would never know the difference.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some extremely accurate barrels coming from Lothar-Walther, but for deer hunting either would work fine. However, I tend to shoot better if I know my rifle shoots better groups, so its a toss-up and personal preference.

Good luck and good shooting.
Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a bad one from Shilen, there was rifling missing in the middle of the barrel for about an inch, on a Select Match Grade, so I stay away from them. I have never used a Walther, but I hear they are very good. I use Lilja or Douglas now.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

do you want a cut rifled or button rifled?

Kreiger are damn nice and easy to get for American's, that would be my choice. I guess Shilen, Lilja or any other premium would do. Personaly I had bad experince with a german make, but you can find duds at other places too.

/ JOHAN

<Celt>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:

The chrome moly steel barrels from LW are hand lapped and stress relieved in a way that makes mine shot straight when hot.

I havent used any of the CM barrels from Walther, I have used many of the LW-50 SS barrels.
We shoot alot in the desert here in Texas where the temp on the Kestral reads 105F often.
We do not think about letting the barrels cool very much.We will put 120 rounds down range of .308 in an hour at 105F without cleaning.
with the LW SS barrels we are still making repeted hits on 8" steel at 1K when the barrel is so hot that it would burn you hand if you held onto it for very long.

My partners rifle has over 4000 rounds down it shot like this and still makes one hole in the paper @ 100.

These button rifled barrels must be done right because there is no stress that we can detect. [Wink] [Smile]

Celt

[ 08-07-2003, 05:41: Message edited by: Celt ]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Go with the Lothar Walter & it won't be your last one.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a site on the web to order the LW barrels? With prices in US $$$$?

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
Call 770-889-9998.
Woody is great about answering any questions.

Celt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Celt- I noticed they don't offer a 3 groove 10" twist in a 30 cal? Do you know of a company that offers one?

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
frank d

I think krieger or pac nor does offer what you are looking for

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I went with the Shilen. I called LW and they said 8-12 weeks for the barrel althought Brownells has them in stock.In reading these posts it looked 50/50. I guess I went the way I did because the Smith liked Shilen and the Brownells recommendation.Maybe my 6mm will get a LW but I don't like supporting countries that don't support us.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I received an E-mail from Mr. W. Woodall in reference to the above post.He stated he and his company are strong supports of the United States.I was glad to hear that.