Find
Notify
Tools

Z-Hat Custom Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Has anyone experienced one of these conversions of the M/70 to takedown? I am curious because it would be a neat idea to get one on my custom and then another barreled portion in a larger caliber. [6.5X55 & 376 Steyr]

Your thoughts?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
333_OKH,

Did you just win the lottery or marry a rich woman or what??? beer

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to be the same set up as H-S precision. I had two of the H-S's and it was neat but the second barrel set up was not the 1/2" as promised.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you just win the lottery or marry a rich woman or what???

It really is a long story!

I am also planning on a multi-year assembly to help with cost.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
was not the 1/2" as promised.

was it 1 inch?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
Did you just win the lottery or marry a rich woman or what???

It really is a long story!

I am also planning on a multi-year assembly to help with cost.

Brother, I’m just getting a kick out of your posts because you are obviously enjoying the hell out of the rifle[s] you’re building, and that’s a great thing! You seem to be going for the best stuff you can get and if these rifles turn out half as good as what you are describing then you will have some really great pieces you can certainly be proud of.

beer

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Just wait until my wife actually finds out how much I spend on these! No worries, I have a new car idea that will keep her off of my tracks until they are done.

God bless the tall redhead! I gotta love her!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As jimmyD223 said, Looks to be similar to HS-Precision, who did/does Winchesters Factory ordered Takedown work.
I have not yet seen a Zhat TD rifle in the flesh.
But I can tell you I have seen the Factory Win. TD rifle(.300win). Weighed a tonne and I did not like the workmanship.Felt terrible going together and apart.IMO the threads werent the best( according to standards that I appreciate)
What is Zhat charging for its Td rigs?

Just to give you an idea of what top notch Td works costs,MartiniHagn charge around $3k for a TD option on top of the price of their normal 1pc rifle.
An extra barrel costs About $3750 complete with wood&sights,add another $950 if you want integral features.
Their work is worlds apart from HS precision.Their threads square form,chromed,extremely well fitting, all so smooooth, lock up is crisp and precise.
No matter what budget I was on,I would rather wisely have one superbly fitted barrel than any number of mediocre ones. If I could not afford TD work of approriate quality,then I would suffer the wait till I could.
But as I said, I have not seen Zhats TD work to comment on it. just thought the other info would be helpfull in some way.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
first,
zeglin (poster here) is fred zeglin, so PM him and ask about it. He's pretty straightforward and a good guy, in my book.

Fred's prices seem to be reasonable to me, I would except the take down to be reasonable for that level of rifle.

next
you are mixing boltfaces, and should have 2 bolts... NOW you are talking about $$$$, as model 70 bolt is $$ and then it would be headspaced to the other barrel... seems like more of accident than having one bolt headspaced to 2 barrels.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a little hard to see, whether the barrel is threaded and simply screws into the receiver (like the H.S.Precision take-downs do), or whether the barrel has an extension, into which the bolt locks directly?? The latter system is used by manufacturers like Dakota, Sauer and several of the high end European custom makers (Johannsen, among others). When the bolt locks up directly into the barrel, there are no issues with headspace, and there is also no issue with the threads becoming worn with repeated assembly/disassembly. However, this latter system requires quite a significan modification of the action (threads and lug-recesses to be machined out), as well as introduction of the barrel extension for the direct lockup.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Unless I am mistaken, 333 is planning on using a MRC action for this project. As such, I wonder if it would be possible to simply order up an extra bolt?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
From Fred's website...

The basic takedown conversion is a full thread system based on the 100 year old, tried and true, Thomas Bland design. We firmly believe in rugged and simple mechanisms, that's exactly what this design delivers. We follow this line of thinking for basic reasons, rugged designs will last and work when more delicate designs will have already worn out. Simplicity of design also insure longevity, not to mention reliability, and accuracy.

Click here to read an article about our takedown 95 conversion.

This takedown involves the installation of a heavy contact plate on the barrel assembly, so that the barrel will always index to the same point. The 95 Winchester and Browning actions are fitted to the plate/barrel assembly, and a simple lock screw holds the assembly tightly aligned.

Multiple barrels are certainly possible. The best way to do this is with a separate complete forearm/barrel assembly, so you can quickly and easily switch barrels and calibers. The original factory barrel can be converted, as can any new barrel. Now you can have the combination you always dreamed of, one gun many calibers.

Popular caliber combinations are 30-06, and 375 Hawk/Scovill, 30-40 Krag, and 405 Winchester, 270 Winchester and 411 Hawk, 338-06 and 35 Whelen are very popular in the 95 as well, many other cartridges are also good choices. Any of our line of Hawk Cartridges will work in the 95 with the 06 bolt face.

Scout scope mounted on one barrel and Iron sights on another makes for an interesting combination. The scout scope works well with the flatter shooting calibers. The more traditional look of iron sights is best with the slower (steeper trajectory) calibers.

We have developed a version of this takedown design for the Winchester Model 70 bolt action. This is a great setup with the various length actions you can have have just about any caliber you want in a takedown.

Custom made for our takedowns an aluminum travel case of unparalleled quality, is a popular option. Black is standard, other colors available. If you travel to hunt you know how important it is to protect your rifle. Our custom cases made just for our takedowns are designed to snugly hold the rifle in transit. At the same time this case looks more like a tool box than a gun case, so it's less likely to attract unwanted attention from baggage handlers.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Bolt face is an issue! I am still looking at options. This looked interesting considering some of hte hunting I do. I have a takedown 1903 Mannlicher S, but it comes apart different. Great gun in a leather case for backpacking.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tex,
having two bolts.. is, well, like having a dozen screw drivers, 1/2 straight, 1/2 philips.. and you know that the first THREE you pick up will be the opposite of what you are looking for.

One bolt, either a take down or a switch barrel arrangement, means you change ONE thing.

Of course, with my luck, loosing one bolt or the other would mean I would loose either the opposite scope or ammo on a trip

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holland and Holland style is a better proposition IMHO. Less sexy but no wear, simpler and hence cheaper. I use one most days for my stalking - It works!

one of us
posted Hide Post
1894, educate us (me) about the H&H take-down system, please?? Pictures would be much appreciated, as would a description.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for another thought, Empire rifles offers a takedown, and I have had one in my hands for a little while, and damn is it precise. Screw in threads with a spring button detant and mating recess. Sweet setup and consistently accurate.

Just FYI--Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, what is the cost/price of a Take Down rifle from Z-Hat or from Empire Rifles.

I hate when I see all this cool stuff without knowing how much it would set me back.

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've dealt with Fred Zeglin before and rate him as a great guy to work with that does outstanding work. I don't think Fred would let something out of his shop that wasn't right.

As for the chamberings, why not a real "Diana" rifle with barrels in 275 H&H, 300 H&H, and 375 H&H??? Big Grin

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I did a little research on here about the Z-Hat rifles and everyone has good marks. I take it they do good work?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shumba:
So, what is the cost/price of a Take Down rifle from Z-Hat or from Empire Rifles.

I hate when I see all this cool stuff without knowing how much it would set me back.

Thanks.

Tim

Sooooooo, how much $$$$$ ????????

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote