New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger barrels
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to add a muzzle break on a ruger
youth rifle with a 16 inch barrel. I am going to need to remove the barrel to fit in my lathe.
Are these things like Remington and use a threadlocker ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, welcome to the site. I did a search and found that only Remington and Browning use threadlocker on the barrel threads from the factory. This was in a post back on 12/24/02 asked by HerbD and answered by JBelk. Good luck on removing that barrel so you can machine it for the muzzle brake. That youngster will appreciate the reduced recoil. I have no other advise to offer since I am not a smith or machinist. Glad to help when I can.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only pulled a few Ruger 77/MK II barrels but dont recall any of them having thread locker on the barrel shank.

The only Rem 700 action I ever saw with some type of Lok Tite on it was one with a titanium receiver.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"The only Rem 700 action I ever saw with some type of Lok Tite on it was a titanium receiver"
Lucky you! I've never seen a factory Rem action that didn't have some sort of sealer on it.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eddieharren

I have seen a lot of 700's with some sort of varnish looking stuff, but it didn't appear to be any kind of thread locker. All the rest had a nice mixture of goop, rust and bluing salts.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Unless you can float the action past the head stock spider, you will probably have to remove the action. If you have a long set of ways (over 40") you could probably put a madrel in the action and a live center at the muzzle, but then you will have to recrown after threading.

I think everyone covered the loctite issue.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have seen anti gal on some rugers, and it stinks (seriously, smells bad)

no threadlock from the factory, and they usually come off easy

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I not only removed the barrel with minimal effort, but turned,threaded,and installed the muzzle break. some kind of anti gal , and it DOES stink !!
carboncutter

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep... turned off fairly easy, didn't it? and don't get the antigal on you.. it is from "the bog of eternal stench"

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote