New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77/22H to K-Hornet??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here rechambered a Ruger 22 Hornet to K-Hornet? I have concerns about the strength of this action when rechambered.

Put your nose to the grindstone, your belly to the ground, and your shoulder to the wheel. Now try to work in that position!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both catiridges should be loaded to equivelent pressures. The rechamber is straightforward, the potential problem is altering the magazine to feed properly.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
jlongo,
there's NO way I would even try. The ruger as TWO YEARS late in coming out due to mag issues. Sell it and get a cz?

seriously, it was that much of an issue...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
Good thought! But since I prefer to stay American, I would probably go to the Saveage Mod 40.

Put your nose to the grindstone, your belly to the ground, and your shoulder to the wheel. Now try to work in that position!

posted Hide Post
..rechambering should be a non-issue, pressure wise... in fact, equal loads should give less backward thrust with the K version, because of the straighter case walls...
.... as mentioned before, the magazine length might limit some loads, and you might have to modify the feed lips of the magazine to allow the straighter case to feed correctly..
... I think the biggest problem with the Ruger has been less than acceptable accuracy. This is due to several things, mainly the two piece bolt, I believe. It can be expensive to correct.

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I'd dump the Ruger. I've been down the road with 77/22 Hornets. Mine, along with many others out there, was an inaccurate POS. Worst money I ever spent on what I thought was a quality rifle. Don't dump good money after bad, buy a CZ or maybe one of the new Savage 40's.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at these guys. They rechamber to the k-Hornet and supposedly do a good job of accurizing. The reason I say supposedly is because I have not dealt with them my self but have only heard of their reputation on these forums. For what it is worth I haven't heard anything bad about them.

http://www.ct-precision.com/

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a K-rechambered 77/22H (rebarreled, actually), and it's a ringer (honest 1/2" groups and usually less). Now, the previous owner spent a bundle on it (new barrel, new trigger, bedding, etc.) He chose to sell it (due to health problems I believe), and as a result, I got a bargain. Mine came from the Northeast, and I suspect that CT Precision might have done the work, but I don't know that.

As to the magazine, it is short, but that is no more an issue with the K- than with the regular Hornet. I load "hunting" rounds with semi-spitzers that fit in the magazine, and "varminting" rounds with Ballistic Tips that must be single-fed. If you happen to mess up the modifications of the feed rails, unlike a fixed magazine action, you just toss the bummed magazine and start over with a new one for $20.

If you're willing to spend the time and money, the Ruger is makes a much slicker, trimmer, nicer looking rifle than the CZ or, particularly, the Savage.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you rechamber, have you tried using Lilgun powder and a small pistol primer? My Ruger Hornet thrives on 13gr Lilgun and a 45gr bullet. Last range trip produced a 1.2" group @200yds with a Sierra 45gr softpoint and 1.5"@200yds with Barnes 45gr XLC, and 2,900fps. My rifle is stock except for a Timney spring and sear kit and has the 20" barrel.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WyoJoe:
You might want to take a look at these guys. They rechamber to the k-Hornet and supposedly do a good job of accurizing. The reason I say supposedly is because I have not dealt with them my self but have only heard of their reputation on these forums. For what it is worth I haven't heard anything bad about them.

http://www.ct-precision.com/
Connecticut Precision is more of a "he" than a "they." Specifically it's owned and operated by a guy named Randy Meeks. I've known him for about ten years or so and he does good work, stands behind what he does, has a reasonably quick turnaround (back before anybody knew him he guaranteed a one-week or less turnaround), and is a reasonably friendly person. I haven't had him re-work a 77/22 for me, but if he says he can do it and make it accurate, believe him.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote