THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Desparately need a good gunsmith in the DFW area quickly!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desparately need a good gunsmith in the DFW area quickly!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jds
posted
A little background . . . I leave for Africa June 9th. I want to take my late father's rifle to Africa since he took it there in the 1950's. The rifle is listed as a Heym 30/06 bolt action that is built on a Mauser action. Here's the dilema . .

After firing it I cleaned it and tightened the trigger guard screws down snug. Now when I pull the trigger, the firing pin only moves slightly forward. If I move the bolt handle slightly the rifle will continue the fire cycle. I've backed off the rear trigger guard screw a turn and everything works just fine. I don't want to rely on it like this because that's not the way it's supposed to be.

It seems that the trigger assembly is hinged by one pin where it is attached to the bottom of the action. I've figured out that proper sear /bolt engagement depends on the position of the trigger assembly as the trigger guard is tightened up.

I removed the barrelled action thinking that the wood may be compressed from years of soaking up oil. My intent was that if the wood did appear to be compressed, I would put a metal tube spacer for the rear guard screw to go through, which and properly space the trigger assembly from the action. It already has one through the stock so that probably isn't the problem.

Bottom line is that I really want to take this rifle to Africa (in shootable condition!) but I need it to be dependable.

Can anyone recommend a QUALITY (!) gunsmith near Fort Worth that might be able to help? . . . quickly!

Thanks!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best gunsmith in that part of Texas is Speedy Gonzalez...

SG&Y
NW Regional Airport,
Route 10,
Box 870 Roanoke,
Texas 76262 Call
(817) 430-0597

Period. Problem is, he is busy. But talk to him or Yvette, tell them your situation and I bet they help.

Michael

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JDS

I lived in Fort Worth 35 yrs ago, my best friend lives near you near Crowley. When I was there the best gunsmith around was Lou Williamson, I beleive he has retired now but may be helping his son in the same business, if his son is half as talented as Lou then dont hesitate to take it to him. I'm sure there are others but I am out of touch with that area.

If you dont find anyone in Fort Worth I can recomend Elton Teague in Nocona, Tx 940-825-4442. He's been in the trade for over 35 years and his reputation is beyond reproach. If you are convenient to Wichita Falls area I am terribly backlogged but would try to help you out. 940-763-2506

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
The 4-hour drive down IH-35 to Hill Country Rifle in New Braunfels could well be worth it. Check them out:

www.hcrifle.com

Good luck. I know having that rifle along will make the memories of that trip even more precious to you.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
Try Frank Smith, at Lone Star Guns in Plano. Frank is currently building lots of custom rifles and is very busy, but I know he would help you with your time crunch. He has done a lot of work for me in the past. GREG

<Greg Y>
posted
If Frank Smith can't get to it, try Matt Bettersworth and his gang at Hill Country Rifle, in New Braunfels. They have done great work for me also. GREG

<Harry>
posted
I have a full time gunsmith.
817 267 3700

<1GEEJAY>
posted
go to my site,you find a list of most of the gunsmiths in that area.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<JHC10>
posted
JDS,
I would follow up with Harry on his offer. If you don't know the man you need to meet him at least once.

I have several friends who have bought, sold, had repaired, etc. with Harry and keep coming back for more.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with the crowd who says Hill Country Rifles. Matt and David are the best in the business. They have done three rifles for me.

------------------
Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi jds, As mentioned above, the best one I know is lou Williamson and he's not retired. He's on Pipeline in Hurst. I don't have the address but if you take Precinct Line north from 10 and turn right on Pipeline he's in a little strip mall three or four blocks down on the right. He's in the book. Williamson Precision Gunsmithing. He's done several projects for me and now has a CZ 527 carbine of minethat he's rebbling to 6.5 PPC. He has lots of business so explain your problem.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Your rifle is fixed...call me.

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, for the replies! I didn't know Harry had a line to a gunsmith or I would have called him first.

I appreciate all the help!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote