THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Symptons, anyone figure out what needs to be fixed?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Symptons, anyone figure out what needs to be fixed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
I have a rifle that seems to have a very tight neck...and chamber... when brand new cases are chambered, they still have a fair amount of resistance...using a body die on them to bump them back a hair more seems to help...

as far as the neck, if I size them in an F/L sizing die, without the decapping spindle in the die, they chamber easily, being a hair undersized...

I am also thinking tho, that there may also be a head space problem...

after even the very mildest loads are shot, the case can not be rechambered, until full length resized... neck sizing alone does not help...

if any of our gunsmith forum members have any clue or suggestions of what to check out or what may be causing this, I sure would appreciate your input..

best regards
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That's a strange problem.
At first it seems as though you have a tight chamber. Then the fired cases will not re-chamber That sounds like bad (long) head space.????
How do the fired cases compare to the unfired? Any obvious differences??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've known a rifle that behaved the same because of an oval chamber. You can check this by turning the case around and see if it will chamber OK in a certain position. BTW, if an oval chamber is confirmed, there's no other solution than reaming a new chamber.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
First thing I would do is cast the chamber and mike it, then I would roll a fired case over a flat surface to see if there was any wobble. Is this a factory rifle, chamber? What caliber is it?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
As Malm says, if you suspect the chamber the only way to tell is with a chamber cast. You can try marking a case but that just shows you where it is sticking, not why it is sticking.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a small base sizer die? It will not solve a chamber problem but may make it 'liveable'?

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Took several shot cases this morning and rotated them until they chambered...

as Andre suspected, the chamber must evidently be out of round or egg shapped...

Going to call the gunsmith and see what he is going to do about it..

really don't want to rechamber it again, as I wanted the barrel the 24 inches it is now....

this is a fast twist barrel in 22 caliber and is a Pac Nor Stainless Steel barrel done by a gunsmith...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
If you can live with the thought (Eeker) of an egg shaped chamber, Buckeyeshooter's suggestion deserves some consideration... But, as we all know, it's all in the head dancing

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
new barrel, bad chamber? well, if the gunny insists that less than 24" is GOOD ENOUGH, explain to him, that since he feels that strongly about it, then he won' tmind at all buying your barrel, at full price for himself, and you can then replace the ruined one for a new one.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
Took several shot cases this morning and rotated them until they chambered...

as Andre suspected, the chamber must evidently be out of round or egg shapped...

Going to call the gunsmith and see what he is going to do about it..

really don't want to rechamber it again, as I wanted the barrel the 24 inches it is now....

this is a fast twist barrel in 22 caliber and is a Pac Nor Stainless Steel barrel done by a gunsmith...

Seafire,

Malm suggested you do a chamber cast for some very good reasons. You could have have gotten some sulfur from the local pharmacy, and then made a cast in sulfur for close to how much time it took to fiddle with the empties, it really is not a big deal unless you get ambitious like I've done and let the sulfur get into the lugs and have to clean it all out.

And I'd definately do a cast before dropping it off at the gunsmith, so you can figure out what was done to fix your rifle.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you get a oval chamber? When boring, reaming or drilling when the barrel is spinning, the best you will get is a oversize chamber. Even if a reamer was ground ovally, which they arent, a spinning barrel in the lathe would still be oversize, not oval.
Sorry just my 2 cents worth!

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I am waiting to hear back from the gunsmith first of all....

then see what he plans to do about it..

how it happened? well I am not a machinist or gunsmith, so I am sort of thinking I don't really need to know, it is the smith's problem first..as he should back up his work...

he is an upstanding guy..

if he doesn't back it up, then I have to figure out what to do next with the barrel...

I have a good friend who is a gunsmith, that works strictly with Contenders, but is a good source of advice..

secondly, I know several more that I can take it to, if the original won't back it up...

then that will involve deciding on having the barrel shorter than I want, or consider chambering it into something like a 22/243 instead... or shortening it up a little and have it chambered to a 22 BR instead of the current 22.250 it is chambered into now..

it is an excellent shooter, just have to decide what to do...

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blagg:
How do you get a oval chamber? When boring, reaming or drilling when the barrel is spinning, the best you will get is a oversize chamber. Even if a reamer was ground ovally, which they arent, a spinning barrel in the lathe would still be oversize, not oval.

Yes, unless you inject lands, grooves and an ill fitted pilot into the mix. They're out there.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really know how you get an oval chamber, but I have encountered it twice previously. I suspect that a barrel not properly centered in the lathe could wobble and create an oval chamber. One oval chamber a friend had came from a gunsmith's shop whose skill was proven and well known. Then we found out that the barrel had been chambered by a newly hired apprentice. Oval chambers definitely do occur.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:

Incorrect
If the reamer has been sharpened incorrectly or if it wore asymmetrically it will ream an oblong hole. It will most likely chatter first but it does happen on occasion.

What is more likely though is the gun smith got a bit carried away when he was polishing the chamber and oblonged it that way

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I've seen guys that ream the final few thou. by hand. Not carefully done this method can creat an oval chamber.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
I've seen guys that ream the final few thou. by hand. Not carefully done this method can creat an oval chamber.

I've seen it happen when finished by hand carelessly. The last few thousands can still be finished by hand between centers with the reamer turned by hand. Most likely it was finished by hand in a vise. JMO.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:

In theory, true. But in real-world industry out of round holes occur fairly frequently.

Any rythmic oscillation in the machine or cutting tool which could cause ever-deepening chatter marks can also create an out of round hole...whether a chamber or some other kind of hole.

I have a different suspicion though, Seafire. I think it rather obvious you are not placing enough goat curds and Retsina at the feet of your Gun-God!! Without blind faith and regular appropriately large offerings, mere science is never enough.......

Hope you get it worked out, bud.

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
well another development...

in the same caliber I have 3 other rifles..

spent cases from the one with the problem here, will chamber in any of the other 3 rifles with no resistance..

maybe this chamber can be cleaned up...without having to cut the threads and rechamber...

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Could it be that the original chamber was cut with a tight match reamer? Has anyone checked the head space? Could be that a standard reamer would clean up the chamber and bring it up to SAAMI standards eliminating the problem! coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote