New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bead blast plactic stock ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a used Ruger 77 MKII in .243, it's Stainless with a plastic stock. It will be a nephews first gun.
It's in fairly nice condition,the barrel has a few light marks on it which I'll sand with 600 and bead blast.
The plastic stock also has a few light marks on it.
Does anyone have an idea how repair the marks ?
I was wonder if a light bead blast would cover up the marks on the stock.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if YOU are doign the blasting.. turn up the feed, turn DOWN the air... and test it on something first

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Walnut meadia for one.

But I would try to stipple the areas with one of those cheep engravers. Try to match the finish as best you can

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Paint it...it will look better.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have painted a couple of plastic stocks with textured or sanded paint and I think they turned out great. Seem to be holding up well, they turned out so good I plan on painting more stocks.
I would do this long before I bead blasted a plastic stock and if you don't like it you can still bead blast it anyway and all you are out is 9$ in paint.
My method is simple but its working for me, I strip hardware off the stock like butt pad and sling swivel eyes, if they won't come off mask them and mask the barrel/ action channel. Wipe the whole thing down with mineral spirits or paint thinner and hang to air dry.
Shoot on a light coat of textured paint and re apply lightly every 6 or 8 hours until you like it then shoot some "matte clear" spray on it and you are done.
here is a picture of one of mine.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. I might give the stock painting a try.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote