New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me choose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a pre 64 model 70 action sitting around that I bought off of Ray a few years ago. I need to get it turned into something soon.

The actons is set up for small cases but can be opened up for larger cases as they are all the same except for the stop, and bolt opening.

I have no problem with altering the action to take larger cases.

The only criteria I have is that the cartridge needs to be a "classic" round. I've been thinking along the lines of 257 Roberts or 275 Rigby on the smaller side or 30-06, 300H&H or 375 H&H on the larger side.

I have a bunch of 06s and 375s in the stable now and one 257 roberts so I'm leaning to 275 Rigby or the 300H&H.

Like most of you I have no need for anything new, All the gaps are filled case and abbility wise. This is going to be a classically set up rifle with extra fancy wood and more of a show piece. As with all of my guns it will also be taken out hunting but I will probably use a bit of extra care when handeling her.

Let me know what you all think and any sugestions you may have. I'm really undecided about the caliber but not the finished product.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The .300H&H on a pre-64 sounds like a winner to me.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC1: The 300H&H on a pre-64 sounds like a winner to me. Terry

I agree with Terry. A real classic combo.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help you Fritz. I do like looking at the fine guns pictured here however.

Since it's really a long standard with only a spacer a 3.4 cartridge with the 06 head would be a smooth fit. Anything in the range from 25-06 including the 7X57 would go up to the 9.3 X 62.

When the topic came up of the worth of an old FN in the 9.3 cartridge on GA I noted that it was $1500 and beat up at that. I have a sister gun in much better shape but chambered for the 270 W. and it's worth only $500 or so. Hint hint.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you bought it from ray are you sure it is a mod 70 not a 1873 trapdoor??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you bought it from ray are you sure it is a mod 70 not a 1873 trapdoor??

I would hope I know the difference by now. Big Grin Even if Ray dosen't.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
John,
classic to me would be either the 275 rigby, or, one better, a 250-3000 savage, and mark the barrel as such.

I know you don't have one of these!
heh
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, That's one I forgot (250-3000 Savage). I actually do have one in a 99 or I should say I will have one soon.
It's from my hunting buddy's estate. He left me all his guns and and a few other special items. Hunted with Frank for 20 + years. Cancer got him at 57 in his prime. The one request from him was that I take each one to the range at least once a year and one of them on a hunt each year. Good guy and friend. I will always feel his absence.

john

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets see... A pre 64 Mod 70, in a classic caliber.... live in Montana.....
How about the 270WCF. It would be just the rifle for Sheep, Antelope, Deer etc.
Or in Elmer Kieth's words, "A pretty good pest rifle". [ OK, I know he said that about a 7MM Mag] Big Grin
You seem to have all the other calibers covered.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450 NE #2, The 270 would be a good choice I need to give it some thought. Thanks

John

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
.275 Rigby. beer

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
fritz454

270 win, 6,5X55, 6X57 or 7X57 Razzer Eeker

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There are lots of classic cartridges but only a few classic "Model 70" cartridges from my NSH perpective. 300 H&H, 270 WCF, 338 Win Mag, 220 Swift, 22 Hornet and 264 Win Mag.

If I had to pick today it'd be a toss between the 300 H&H and the 264 Win Mag. Tormorrow might be different Big Grin

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
There are lots of classic cartridges but only a few classic "Model 70" cartridges from my NSH perpective. 300 H&H, 270 WCF, 338 Win Mag, 220 Swift, 22 Hornet and 264 Win Mag.

If I had to pick today it'd be a toss between the 300 H&H and the 264 Win Mag. Tormorrow might be different Big Grin

I would vote for a classic Model 70, or at least classic Winchester cartridge, rather than a classic Mauser cartridge or H&H, Rigby, etc. cartridge.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. Forgot the 458 Win Mag. It and the Mod 70 redefined the African big bore scene for a long time.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I included the 300 H&H because of the Wimbledon match won by it in a Mod 70 and the subsequent good press that made for the Winchester Rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Charles Helm said, why not stick with a Win cartridge. It's been said too many times maybe, but 270 Winchester is great (and classic) round, and would seem to fit into your repertoire well.

Good luck --Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x64

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
8x68s

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300 H&H or .375 H&H I reckon.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the .300 H&H.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Fritz,

I'll second Jeffe's thought on the 250-3000. Granted, you'll soon have it in the rifle it made famous, but that sure would be a sweet little number in a 70 featherweight!

My second choice, like many, would be the 270!

Ahh, what a dilemma to have! clap

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
If I had a pre-64 Model 70 action that came off a 30-06, I'd keep it as an '06, or else turn it into a 25-06, 270 Win., 280 Rem., or 7mm Mauser.

You can also turn it into a 338 Win., 7mm Rem., etc, but you'll need a new magazine box and follower, in addition to bolt face, feed rail, and extractor work.

I'd stay away from going 300 H&H, etc., because in addition to the work listed above, you'd have to have the loading port opened up, the magazine box mortise opened up (toward the rear, NOT the front), plus a new bolt stop, and so forth. This represents too much work and expense. If i wanted a 300 H&H or 375 H&H on a pre-64 action, I'd find an original 300 H&H beater rifle and strip it down for the action.

AD

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey Allen, Not trying to be too disagreeable, but... I think a beater pre-64 H&H would cost more than the work involved in converting this one. The beater action will need prep work too. Besides, any of the cartridges listed above are a losing proposition. If a man wanted a pre-64 and wanted to be cheap about it, he could just go buy a factory rifle and be done with it.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.

A lot of good info here and I've narrowed it to two a 275 Rigby or the 300 H&H. Gave a lot of thought to the 270 but I've got too many of those to justify another and since I will soon own a 250-3000 sav in it's clasic rifle I ruled that one out as well.

The Rigby would be easier to finish but I'v got 10,000+ sq ft of machinery at my disposal and It would only cost me my time and this is what I like to do.

I"ve always wanted a nice 300 H&H but then again a feather weight fast ponting 275 Rigby would really be something sweet. I may just have to find another action to do them both.

Hey Ray got another pre 64 you want to get rid of.

I'm going to decide by tomorrow and get a barrel ordered on Monday. That should stop me from changing my mind.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ordered the barrel today. It's going to be a 275 Rigby. I've got a slim barrel profile I'll put on it and finish it at 22". Put a nice set of traditional sights on it and slip it into a really nice extra fancy turkish walnut stock that has many, many coats of hand rubbed oil finish on it.

I'll post as it come along. Thanks for all the advise and ideas. It was really close and I didn't make up my mind until I filled out the order to pac-nor. Now I need to find a 300H&H donor action to build it's twin brother.

Down the road I may even try for a 375H&H and a 458 Win to complete the set. But as usual I'm way ahead of myself.

John

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice but, put the correct name on the barrel. Please call it a 7X57 Big Grin

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please call it a 7X57

Not a chance in hell of that. beer

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
bawling