Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
It is chambered in 30-06. I think?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oberndorf sporting mauser made for the US market. Probably imported by Tausher. I can't see the serial number clearly but by the looks of the butt plate its pre WWI.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The action appears to be stamped "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER - OBERNDORF A/N" and the barrel rib appears to be stamped "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A.-G. OBERNDORF AM NECKAR" - both indicating commercial Mauser manufacture.

The receiver ring seems to be stamped "U.S. 1906" and the barrel shank is stamped "7,68" - both indicating .30-06 caliber.

Also, the "Germany" stamped on the floorplate indicates a commercial import into the U.S.A.

Good looking rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one very good looking rifle!
Octagon barrels are magnets for me. I love 'em.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey - i'll offer $10.00 Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK hilbily make it $20.00

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rusty,
if you're for a rear sight for it i have one of the 1000 yard tangents for a octagon barrel.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Heck Rusty, that thing's older than you!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirtyjim:
rusty,
if you're for a rear sight for it i have one of the 1000 yard tangents for a octagon barrel.

Rusty, you're going to want this or something like it to fill that big dovetail cut in the rib.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I expect that paticular rifle had a folding leaf sight

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc, I will raise the offer to $30.00 - You going to keep bidding?

"There is a bloody brave little animal called the honey badger in Africa. It may be the meanest animal in the world. It kills for malice and for sport, and it does not go for the jugular-it goes straight for the groin. It has a hell of a lot in common with the modern American woman."
Robert Ruark-The Honey Badger
SGB7x57@Gmail.com
360-918-8283
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
WANT TO RETURN TO AFRICA CLUB Life Member

Posts: 187 | Location: Olympia, Wa | Registered: 31 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I wonder how they achieve that texture/finish on the front ring. I like it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Beautiful! I wonder how they achieve that texture/finish on the front ring. I like it.

Red

That kind of stippling is done with a point punch many thousands of times. The surface is a bunch of "dots" so small and close together it looks like shading. There are some multi-point stippling punches out there that are faster, but require some skill to use. I like that and hatching, too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Met DirtyJim and Alan out at the range Tuesday afternoon. I got the tangent sight and got to enjoy meeting a couple of great AR Members!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was nice meeting you & alan. thanks for letting me put a few rounds down range with your big bores.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here is an update on the rifle.

Looks a lot better without that ugly piece of brass! Big Grin

Does anyone have some kind of ball park value on this rifle? I can't seem to find much in my
Gun Values Book!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I would give Forrest Armstrong a call, he really knows this stuff.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote