New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRNO mod 21,22 ? on rechambering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen a BRNO mod 22H ? i think ? with square bridges groves etc[1950s] it was a 7x57 and has been rechambered for 7 REM MAG which i suppose destroys its collectors value ? its a reasonable price ,and i dont know whether to grab it or not ? cant decide ??? ihave only seen pics of it ,not in flesh [or metal and wood] ,if anyone can give me advice on it pls thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
7 mag? i didn't think that would fit in it. It would have nil value to ME, except for the stock. Again, to me, it's ruined as a 21, and would not be worth 200 bucks

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you still have the original barrel contour, sights, etc. I think it would be work picking up to have a new barrel duplicated in the same profile. If the action has been modified, you might have to move up a bit in caliber - maybe 9.3x62?

Definitely worth some $$ and effort if the only thing jacked up is the chamber. What is "reasonable?" If I found something like that and was flush with cash (rare) I would probably pay up to $500 - 600.

Good luck,
Todd

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Todd,
if it's recut to 7remmag, then the bolt face, barrel, and action are all modifed to work.. and will wiork basically with nothing else.

like putting a small block chevy into a well running 59 thunderbird convertable.. great way to turn a 20K car into a 5K car...

500-600 bucks is WAY to much for a buggered mauser

476AR,

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMG:
Assuming you still have the original barrel contour, sights, etc. I think it would be work picking up to have a new barrel duplicated in the same profile. If the action has been modified, you might have to move up a bit in caliber - maybe 9.3x62?

Definitely worth some $$ and effort if the only thing jacked up is the chamber. What is "reasonable?" If I found something like that and was flush with cash (rare) I would probably pay up to $500 - 600.

Good luck,
Todd

Todd

If the boltface has been opened for the 7mm mag then switching to 9.3x62 isn't as simple as a rebarrel or rebore.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Todd,
if it's recut to 7remmag, then the bolt face, barrel, and action are all modifed to work.. and will wiork basically with nothing else.

like putting a small block chevy into a well running 59 thunderbird convertable.. great way to turn a 20K car into a 5K car...

500-600 bucks is WAY to much for a buggered mauser

Assuming one wanted a 7mm Rem or any other short magnum, why would $600 be too much? You still have the great integral mounts, small ring action, and classic styling. I don't personally like the 7mm Rem, but that would make a hell of a .338 Win Mag.

I'll conceed that if you want something based off a .473" boltface then, well, yeah, it's probably not worth that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I once took apart a 22F that had been rebarreled to .358 Norm Magnum by Continental Arms in NY. The stock did not hold up well, with several cracks.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Well lets see, You could build a nice little 350 rem mag mountain rifle, or a trim 375 ruger Eeker

Surely there's some way to make it useful

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The price on it is $600 US ,it has original barrel and stock

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well then,

The question arises:

For about the same price new CZ's in several calibers are available.

I realize that they are NOT the same rifle, but you may want to put your own dents in the stock and metalwork.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James C Scott:
Well then,

The question arises:

For about the same price new CZ's in several calibers are available.

I realize that they are NOT the same rifle, but you may want to put your own dents in the stock and metalwork.

What fun would that be. Provided the work was done professionally and not like by a Mauser buggerer, the M21 is a much finer action/rifle than the CZ. But, the CZ is a good rifle in today's market.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH, there lies the rub. Big Grin

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was done well, and I wanted the rifle badly, $600 would not be too high. I would have to want it AWFULLY BAD though.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
If the boltface has been opened for the 7mm mag then switching to 9.3x62 isn't as simple as a rebarrel or rebore.

You nailed it Mike...
boltface is now too large, even for a 9,3x64 case
chamber is now larger, from base to shoulder, than a 9,3x64

also, the barrel would be rather light (would it work at .366 groove?) and the stock would have to be reinforced. Of course, the stock SHOULD be reinforced for the 7 remmag, already

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good points on the bolt face. I would still consider doing something with it, just to spare it from the fate of being a 7 mm RM. Smiler

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote