New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for best value wood stock .....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im looking to get a nice/fancy walnut stock made and wondered who you could all suggest. The two Im looking at right now are either a wenig varminter in extra fancy or a richards microfit in AA walnut. Id like to keep the cost around $300. Thanks for your input.

And Id also love to see everyones stocks and what they cost to help me get a ballpark idea of what $300 can do. Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SCott,
I am assuming you want the all in price for the semi-inletted stock to be 300 bucks, including the wood, but NOT including the inletting, bedding, finishing, recoil pad and checkering, right?

and, it depends on what action you have and what's your LOP

also assuming this is not a hard kicking rifle (338win power and down)

If you are looking to spend that amount of money for a stock you'll bed and finish, I would suggest you find a very nice piece of claro for 200. it has to be 2.5" thick, it MUST be at least 4 years old (just to be on the safe side) and should not, preferably, have been kiln dried. quarterswan will be the most sturdy, slab sawn will be prettier

send that to RMF or wenig and have them turn the pattern of your choice, set you LOP, add a pad, and tip and cap (or anything you don't want, or do want)

and then start inletting..

200-300 bucks will buy some great claro

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the rifle model, LOP and style. I would do some research on thhe internet. Go to eBay and look at the blanks quaking_aspens has and see if they fit your needs. If they do, bid on one and send it to jeffeosso and let the beaver eat it. Also on eBay is dakotacliff who has blanks already shaped and a lot of "buy it nows". See what you like and do some comparisons on line.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Id also love to see everyones stocks and what they cost to help me get a ballpark idea of what $300 can do. Thanks.

$300.00 won't do a lot. $300.00 and a lot of work on your part can do a lot.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a $250 Gary Goudy GAG. Its been reshaped and slimmed quiet abit. Black walnut.

You cant see the figure to well cause it aint oiled up yet in this pic

Here you can see some of the figure in the forend. I was sanding off the soaker coats here

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote