New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 action size
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have 2 winchester classic stainless take off barrels in 375. My question is do i need to find a 375 or 7mmSTW action or is it possible to use say a 300win mag or 338 and have it opened up? if so will this make it weaker and what would be the cost of such a project if i already had the actions. thanks sorry for this being long winded

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
let me get this right..

you want a 375 on a winchester model 70 action and have takeoff barrels?

Okay.. if that's the case

get any current LONG action, if you start with a magnum botl face, it will be easier.

take the action and barrel to a smith, with the mag box from a 375 (like 20 bucks from brownells) as well and the boltstop.

he should be able to mount the barrel, time it, and re-headspace it, assuming he has the reamer, install the mag box and stop...and slightly open the rear..

jeffe.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jefferso, thank you for responding, so you are saying that a 300 or 338 will work? Also how much do you think this would cost, and you would you recommend as there are no gunsmiths in my town?

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes the 300 or 338 would work. If you have a STW or say a 300WBY then there is no changes needed to the action. If you start with a 338 length action there is a spacer in the back of the magazine and the bolt stop and ejector are too long. They can be altered. Or like Jeffe said the simplest way is to buy a box, bolt stop and ejector for the long magnum. Brownells might have them. The last I bought was from Winchester. Prices are on their website.

Assuming the smith has the reamer the mounting should be around $100.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote